Two Somerset men among four feared lost at sea

Chard & Ilminster News: STEVE Warren from Bridgwater is among the Britons missing. PHOTO: Royal Yachting Association. STEVE Warren from Bridgwater is among the Britons missing. PHOTO: Royal Yachting Association.

“THOUGHTS and prayers” are with the families of two Somerset yachtsmen feared lost at sea in the mid-Atlantic after their vessel capsized in the Caribbean.

Steve Warren, 52, from Bridgwater, and Paul Goslin, 56, from Yeovil, are among the four missing British crewmembers of the Cheeki Rafiki.

The yacht ran into difficulties while sailing from a regatta in the Caribbean to the UK on Thursday, when it began taking on water. The United States Coast Guard says it has called off its active search.

Contact with Stormforce Coaching, a Southampton-based training and charter company, is said to have been lost in the early hours of Friday.

In a statement, the US Coast Guard said: “The Coast Guard has suspended its active search, pending further developments, for four sailors 1,000 miles east of Cape Cod, Massachusetts, at 5 a.m. Sunday.”

The statement continues: “Multiple crews from numerous nation's military branches and commercial vessels searched approximately 4,146 square miles for them.”

Mr Warren and Mr Goslin were joined on their sail by James Male, 23, and 21-year-old Andrew Bridge.

Doug Innes, principal and director of Stormforce Coaching, said: “We were in contact with the skipper and at the time the yacht and crew were keeping the situation stable.

“They had not been able to ascertain where the water ingress was from and were diverting to the Azores.

“Unfortunately we lost contact during the early hours of Friday morning and we believe the crew abandoned to the life raft.

“Search and Rescue authorities were mobilised and a mixture of Canadian and US aircraft along with merchant vessels searched throughout Friday and Saturday.

“Although the search efforts co-ordinated by Boston were exceptional we are devastated that search has been called off so soon after the abandonment to a life-raft.

“Our thoughts are with the four yachtsmen and their families and we hope and pray for them all.”

Captain Anthony Popiel, chief of response for the Boston-based 1st Coast Guard District, said: “We appreciate the assistance of the U.S. Air Force, Canada and the three merchant vessels helping us to conduct a thorough search so far from shore.

“We are extremely disappointed that we were not able to locate the sailors during the course of this extensive search. Our thoughts and prayers are with their families during this difficult time.”

Comments (5)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:32pm Sun 18 May 14

Dr Dave says...

Seems the search was called off a little prematurely to me............sendin
g thoughts and prayers to all
Seems the search was called off a little prematurely to me............sendin g thoughts and prayers to all Dr Dave
  • Score: 15

10:26pm Sun 18 May 14

notasnarrowmindedasmost says...

Thoughts go out to all the families .
Thoughts go out to all the families . notasnarrowmindedasmost
  • Score: 9

2:42pm Mon 19 May 14

Tantejennie says...

How can we raise money to pay for further searches for our British boys lost in the Atlantic? JJH Oxford
How can we raise money to pay for further searches for our British boys lost in the Atlantic? JJH Oxford Tantejennie
  • Score: 6

5:49pm Mon 19 May 14

zelda white witch says...

God bless .dont give up hope x
God bless .dont give up hope x zelda white witch
  • Score: 3

6:42pm Mon 19 May 14

Thurza says...

Thoughts are with the families, don't give up hope.
Thoughts are with the families, don't give up hope. Thurza
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree