FIVE promising young businesses in Somerset have been shortlisted as finalists in a competition run by the publishers of this website.
Local Business Accelerators, run nationally by the Newspaper Society and promoted locally by Newsquest Somerset, aims to help fledging firms develop and grow.
Judges shortlisted the following companies:
- Blake Bespoke Furniture, of Waterrow, near Wiveliscombe
- Boni and Guy hairdressing for dogs, of Taunton
- Henry Hunt fashion, of Buckland St Mary, near Chard
- Shine My Ride valeting, of Bridgwater
- Sweet Cicely, who supply British cut flowers, of Lydeard St Lawrence.
The competition is fronted by Somerset-based entrepreneur Deborah Meaden of TV's Dragons' Den and is supported by the Government and private sector's Business in You campaign, Prime Minister David Cameron and the Governor of the Bank of England Mervyn King.
The two winning firms will scoop business mentoring and advertising as their prize. They will be announced later this month.