Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting CI NEWS to 80360 or email us
Queen's Diamond Jubilee events in Chard
THERE are a number of events to mark the Queen's Diamond Jubilee taking place in Chard this week.
• Saturday, June 2: Variety show at the Guildhall, from 7.30pm each night, featuring an Olympic-themed performance by the Kittens and Sphinxes and more. Tickets priced £2.50 available from Barron’s on Holyrood Street and the Tourist Information Centre.
• Saturday, June 2: Hobbies exhibition at the Guildhall from 9am to 2pm. Displays include modelling, wedding dresses through the decades, costumes, knitting and crocheting. Admission is free. A blue plaque commemorating the Diamond Jubilee, which has been made locally and will go outside the Guildhall, will be officially unveiled in the morning. The Carnival princess and flower girls will do the honours.
• Saturday, June 2: Jubilee Festival Day, St Mary’s Church, 11am to 4pm. Fun for all the family, including craft market, jubilee exhibition, coconut shy, bottle stall, hoopla, hook a boat, performances by Chard Concert Brass and Kelly Leigh School of Dance, face painting, nail painting, bouncy castle, food, tombola and prize draw. Teddy bear daredevil zipwire experience – children can take their teddies and watch them glide down the zipwire from the church tower. Visitors are encouraged to take their cameras for a tour of the tower.
• Saturday, June 2: Children’s fancy dress competition, St Mary’s Church, Chard, from 11am to 4pm.
The theme is Kings and Queens through the ages. Prizes in three categories – under-fives, ages five to seven, and ages eight to 11. To enter, register in the church by 2pm – the competition will be judged at 3pm when the fancy dress parade will begin and prizes will be presented.
• Monday, June 4: Parade through the town centre, starting from Crowshute car park at 12noon led by Chard Goldstar Majorettes. The route takes in Crowshute Link, High Street, Fore Street and heads to Jocelyn Park, finishing at Clare House.
• Monday, June 4: Party in the Park from 12noon to 5pm with stalls, refreshments, children’s rides and a Ferne Animal Sanctuary fun dog show from 12.30pm, plus performances by Chard Concert Brass, Kelly Leigh School of Dance and majorettes and other entertainers.
• Monday, June 4: Torchlight procession to Mitchell Gardens, leaving the sorting office car park at 9pm, heading up Fore Street, High Street and Crowshute Link. Chard’s Olympic Torchbearer James Winter is taking part in the procession. The town’s Beacon at Mitchell Gardens will be lit at 10.10pm by diamond queen Joan Oliver, who will be arriving in an open top Aston Martin and will be helped in the task by James Winter. A fireworks display follows.
• Tuesday, June 5: Tea dance at the Guildhall from 2pm to 5pm, with tea and coffee served.
• Wednesday, June 6, and Friday, June 8: Craft and play activities for children aged five to 11 in the Guildhall, Chard.