FIREFIGHTERS battled a barn fire near Chard earlier today which saw a building and a camper van destroyed.
Crews from Chard, Crewkerne and Yeovil were called to the scene on Limekiln Lane, Winsham at around 10.15am this morning (March 16).
Three fire engines and a water carrier were sent to a report of a barn on fire.
On arrival crews confirmed that the barn contained hay and straw, a boat and a tractor.
Fire crews got to work using two breathing apparatus and a compressed air foam jet.
Another three pumping appliances were requested and also one from Seaton, one from Ilminster and one from Yeovil were sent on along with the Incident Command Unit from Honiton and the Incident Support Unit from Yeovil.
There was approximately 30 tonnes of hay and straw in the barn.
A decontamination zone was been set up as a precaution due to low hazard asbestos.
The barn measures approximately 20 metres by 20 metres.
The hay and straw within the barn is still alight and one camper van has been destroyed by fire.
Two telehandlers were in use to remove the hay and straw.
Fire crews are using one compressed air foam jet, one hose reel and two breathing apparatus.
A water relay was also in place.
The barn consisted of three bays. There is 50 per cent fire damage to the middle bay and 100 per cent smoke damage to the other two bays.
Fire crews have used six breathing apparatus, one hose reel jet, one safety jet, two compressed air foam jets, a positive pressure ventilation fan, thermal image camera, carbon monoxide detector and light portable pump to deal with the incident.
Resources were reduced down to two fire appliances and a water carrier at around 3pm.
The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental.