Regional Two South West: Chard RFC 12-17 Truro 

DESPITE having to field a patch work side hit by injuries and some unavailability Chard put in a terrific shift against Truro and came so close to pulling off a great win against their Cornish rivals which on their 2nd half performance would have been deserved, writes Glyn Hughes.

There was a lovely and lively atmosphere at the club before, during and after the game as the club welcomed back many former players and thanks are due to Paul Wright who did a great job in getting them all together.

When the game kicked off the pitch was still suffering from a very heavy storm a few hours earlier, but it held up surprisingly well and was not an issue.

Truro have a very experienced side and they controlled the ball with some well drilled and organised  play  in the opening exchanges and it looked ominous when their forwards set things up for a converted try after less than five minutes play and it was not long before they doubled their lead with a similar effort. 0-14

Niall Crouch narrowly missed a long-range penalty but Chard were getting more and more into the game and appeared to have scored a well worked forwards try after Truro were driven back over their own line. The referee appeared to give the try but the joy of players and supporters was short-lived as the referee then indicated the ball had been held up over the line and the relief of the away contingent was palpable!

Chard played well for the remainder of the half with young back row player Aiden Cabel, who played for Somerset u 20’s against Gloucestershire along with Jacob Bond recently, probably having his best game for the club to date. Half time 0-14

Chard were on the front foot throughout the 2nd half and quickly got on the score sheet when Bond made a lovely break and set up Lewis Hole for a try converted by Crouch.

Chard brought on all their replacements to ease the burden on players who had wanted to start even though not 100 % fit and they all played their part in taking the game to Truro.

Some good play from Cabel set up Hole for a second try. This try was unconverted, but Chard now trailed by just two points, and they knew that any sort of late score would give them a fine win.

Chard worked their socks off but their efforts did not get the reward they deserved and the visiting supporters were relieved when their kicker added a late penalty to give his side a narrow victory.

A pity about the result but nevertheless a good afternoon for local rugby in more ways than one.

There is no game next Saturday but Chard then travel to Wadebridge on 6th April kick off 3pm.