Premier and First Division Cup: Ilminster Town 4-3 Mendip Broadwalk

THIS Somerset League Cup Quarter Final had to be replayed after Mendip played a player not registered in time for tie which they originally won 1-0, writes Andrew Fish.

Given a second chance Ilminster took full advantage to win this highly competitive cup tie 4-3, at one stage despite going 1-0 up, the team found themselves 3-1 down and there certainly looked no way back against the League leaders. 

The side though never gave up and a pulled it back to 3-3, before late in the game with penalties looming, the defence started a move from the back that led to some fantastic team passing, the ball was worked wide to Jack Steer who crossed for Thomas Lee to rifle the ball into the back of the net and start the celebrations as he made it 4-3.

Ilminster made the perfect start when a 5th minute free kick on the right was delivered by Drew Stride, Steer headed it on and Tom Case came in late to turn the ball into the net to give his side an early1-0 lead. Mendip replied soon after when a corner was half cleared and their leading scorer Dylan Whittle made it 1-1.

Mendip were awarded a free kick and the ball came off the head of Kris Hastings and looked to be heading in for an own goal when Jack Rutter made a brilliant save tipping it over the bar to keep it at 1-1, the home defence cleared the corner initially with the ball crossed back in and Rutter was given no chance this time as the lively Whittle scored a great goal with the outside of his foot to make it 2-1.

Mendip kept attacking and Whittle claimed his hat-trick with a powerful shot from just inside the 18 yard box, at 3-1 down there looked no way back with Mendip well on top.

The recalled Kane Lee who was having a great game at the back, looking composed and confident on the ball made a great tackle as the visitors looked to add a fourth goal.

it needed a little luck to get back in the tie with half time approaching,  Steer picked up the ball in the middle of the park and drove forward before releasing Taylor Jefferson who made a strong run before being upended by a foul. Jefferson took the free kick and a hit a “Barryboomer” which found the corner of the net to make it 2-3.

Mendip looked to have taken their foot off the pedal and the Blues picked up the pace at the start of the second half more than matching the League leaders, Stride who was enjoying a rare start then made a great run through the middle and as he burst into the penalty box he calmly rounded the keeper and from a tight angle made it 3-3.

Jefferson was having his best performance for a while and was tormenting the Mendip defence with his direct running, once again he burst through the middle and was taken out by the Bradley Caton who was given a straight red card leaving his side down to ten men for the closing stages.

The Blues took advantage and there was no need for a penalty shoot out as Thomas Lee scored that fantastic team goal to give his side a well deserved 4-3 win.

This was without doubt a total team effort with all fifteen players giving their all, its what you need to beat a good side, the defence were all excellent, Skipper for the day Tom Case had an outstanding match winning nearly everything in the air at the back as well as scoring a goal, Jefferson was deservedly named as star man for his free kick an all action display.