Somerset Senior Cup Quarter Final: Ilminster Town 2-4 Wells City Res

ILMINSTER Town were well beaten by a young Wells City Reserve team 4-2 in this Somerset Senior Cup Quarter final match on Saturday, writes Andrew Fish.

The Ilminster pitch was still wet after the postponements of the last two weeks due to the shear volume of rain that had fallen and the heavy going conditions meant that it was unadvisable to try and play too much football, especially playing out from the back.

The warning signs were there as early as the tenth minute when a heavy touch led to a Wells attacker stealing the ball and only a great close save from Jack Rutter kept the score at 0-0.

It did not take Wells long to create another chance, as the home defence failed to clear the ball and with an overload down the left, the ball was worked into Ollie Bryant who brought the ball under instant control before finding the bottom corner to give his side a 1-0 lead.

With a man spare at the back post Cory Bobbett could not believe his luck as he stole in to head home via a deflection to make it 2-0.

To their credit Ilminster did rally and ended the half on top and at the start of the second half from a corner there was a couple of chances blocked before Rutter shot and the quick thinking Harvey Saunders used his chest to divert the ball into the net to make it 1-2.

This was just what the team needed to get back into the match. Unfortunately things never went to plan and another error at the back led to Wells restoring their two goal cushion when Liam Harris picked up the loose ball on the edge of the 18 yard box to fire home and make it 3-1.

Ilminster brought on their subs and the lively Drew Stride made a great run down the right before getting a great ball into the box, Taylor Jefferson got up well at the far post only to see his header saved.

Two minutes later Tom Case delivered a great ball into the box with Jefferson once again got his head to a cross this time he found the corner of the net to make it 2-3.

With Ilminster hoping this would create a full scale fight back and an uncomfortable last ten minutes for the visitors, Wells had other ideas and went down the other end and restored their two goal advantage to run out 4-2 winners after Will Reilly made it 4-2.

Ilminster were not at their best, the heavy conditions never helped but for they were the architect of their downfall, with defensive mistakes costing them a place in the Semi Final.

Next week its cup action again in the Somerset County League Cup Quarter Final rematch, the Somerset County League gave wrong advice to Mendip Broadwalk who played an illegible player in their 1-0 victory at Ilminster back in January.

Rather than being expelled from the cup as would be the norm, the Somerset FA who chaired a meeting decided that the match has to be replayed. The match kicks off at the normal 3.00pm kick off .