Uhlsport Premier and First Division Cup: Combe St Nicholas 2-5 Clutton FC

COMBE St Nicholas FC have been knocked out of the Uhlsport Premier and First Division Cup after a 2-5 home defeat against Clutton.

The match played on Saturday was always going to be tough against a Premier side in Clutton.

Manager Gary Parsley: ”The first half showed what we have been training is working; the lads play some nice slick football. But the second half showed we are still slightly behind on fitness due to a poor pre season."

Combe welcomed back Charlie and Oli Hine, Gavin Herrod, Kieran Willmington & Owen Ladd to the squad.

The hosts started on the front foot passing with ease with the visitors stuck for ideas. Lots of long balls over the top were swept up by keeper Sochon.

Combe saw a good passing move see Wael Elkahla curl a effort off the cross bar on 9 minutes.

The home sides early chances and corners were undone when a great strike from Clutton beat Sochon to make it 0-1.

Combe restarted and got back into there passing groove and pushed Clutton back.

An early sub saw 16-year-old injured Cody Weller replaced by Jack Dallimore.

The positive pressing and Combe pressure continued with more corners and on 25 minutes, Combe were awarded a penalty for hand ball. Kieran Willmington slotted away the spot kick.

Both sides probed but neither could find the net up to half time (1-1).

The second half started badly and inside 30 seconds Clutton got a slice of luck as the striker fired goal wards which deflected into the net, wrong footing Sochon.

Combe rarely got going again before Clutton made it 1-3. Combe were defending the half and saw two late goals before a good 10 minute spell. Wael Elkahla made a mazy run into the box and was pulled down for a penalty.

Willmington stepped up and fired past the keeper again with ease but it was only a consolation in the end.

Next up Combe return to a league fixture at Combe FC where the Firsts host Middlezoy reserves.

Elsewhere, Combe St Nicholas Reserves took an inexperienced side to Halstock on Saturday and lost 2-0.

With six regular players injured and others unavailable, plenty had to be called up from the Colts and the boys performed admirably.

With plenty of youngsters in the side for Combe, Halstock came out on top in a physical battle leading 1-0 at half time.

The team never gave up and kept plugging away but unfortunately conceded a second halfway through second half and never managed to find a way back.