Somerset Premier & First Division Cup: Ilminster Town 2-1 Clevedon United

ILMINSTER Town produced a top performance to beat a strong Clevedon United 2-1 in this 1st round Somerset County Premier/Division One League Cup match.

It was man of the match Evan Howse who was given a start up front that scored the winner when the young 17 year old showed maturity beyond his age by slotting home a 75th minute penalty that was won when Lewis Trusson was fouled in the box.

Both sides cancelled each other out in the first twenty minutes of the match without any efforts on target.

It was Tom Lee that set up the first attack on goal when he picked up the ball in front of the defence and hit a great pass with the outside of his foot into the path of Howse who ran through and struck a hard shot on target that Sam Lewis in goal for the visitors was equal to.

Ilminster were now growing into the match and when a ball forward found Kieran Manley he turned well before releasing Trusson who shrugged off a defender before finding the target with a well hit finish to make it 1-0.

The confidence throughout the team was high as Howse then produced a great bit of skill on the edge of the box before striking the woodwork.

Clevedon then had a slice of luck when after a good run down the right the ball deflected into the path of Josh Morgan who side footed it home in the 40th minute to make it 1-1.

Ilminster went close to regaining their lead when Trusson went close in a goalmouth scramble.

Clevedon then took advantage of an overload down the Ilminster right and a effort from distance hit the bar, they also went close when Jack Rutter was forced into a save low down.

Ilminster then began to regain control again and in a goalmouth scramble the Clevedon keeper Lewis made a fantastic double save from Manley and Howse to keep the scores level.

Trusson made a strong run down the right and as he burst into the box he was brought down for a penalty by a clumsy challenge. Howse confidentiality scored from the spot to give his side the lead.

Ilminster saw out the match and this 2-1 win against a side that currently sit in fourth place and have finished in the top four in the last couple of seasons shows the side are beginning to improve.

Next week the team are back to League action away at Wells City Reserves, Wells who are third in the Somerset County Premier Division beat Ilminster back in August at the Archie Gooch Pavilion in a thrilling match that finished 5-3,  the match kicks off at 3.00 pm.