Somerset Premier Division: Chard Town 2-2 Mendip Broadwalk

GOING into this game, the form book would say away win for Mendip Broadwalk, but the Chard side didn't let that alter their performance.

Having won 7 of their 7 games, Mendip provided it was a test for the newly formed Chard squad with a good mix of young talent and experience.

From the kickoff Mendip were putting the Robins defence under pressure.

By doing so, Chard started to exploit their back line and started to get behind them and were creating chances of their own.

After 10 minutes James Boyland, who doesn't need much of a chance, had defenders all around him yet he managed to get a shot in between them and into the bottom corner to put Chard 1-0 up.

For the next 35 minutes it was end-to-end football with Mendip playing some good attractive football but Chard more than matched them.

With five minutes left of the half a mistake in midfield let a quick break for Mendip happen which ended in an equaliser.

Playing up the slope in the second half Chard's players still gave 100% to try and win the game.

On the hour Steve Morris was replaced by Jamie Brown and within seconds he was creating problems for the Mendip defence.

In the 70th minute after some slick one touch football Mendip scored the goal of the game, difficult to defend when a side moves the ball like they did in the build up.

Chard didn't give in and with some young fresh legs on the pitch they took the game to them and caused them problems.

In the 75th minute James Boyland went on a mazy dribble into the box and was brought down for a penalty.

Jamie Brown took charge and neatly put it into the top corner, because the goalkeeper moved he had to retake it and under a lot of pressure he cooly put it in the same place as before to level the scores.

In the final minutes Mendip went looking for the winner but Chard's defenders stood firm and held out to the final whistle.

Next week it's cup action again at Zembard Lane with the visit of Saltford FC in the Somerset Premier Cup KO 3pm.