Chard RFC 13-10 Crediton RFC

CHARD turned the form book upside down on Saturday with this thrilling win against high flying Crediton who last week had comprehensibly beaten the league leaders St Austell at home, writes Glyn Hughes.

Make no mistake this was a well-deserved win for the Chard team against an excellent  Crediton side who but for a superb defensive performance  by the entire home match day squad could on another day have seen their free running backs score several tries.

Chard was missing several players but, on the day, their 18-man squad were outstanding and although kicking and tactical errors were at times apparent they made up for this with guts determination and effort and were never behind at any stage in the game.

Early on winger Huw Edwards made a few good runs before the powerful Chard forwards put Crediton under pressure and number 8 forward Jack Elliot crossed for the opening try which was unconverted.

Crediton were soon level when they kicked a penalty to the corner and this was followed by a well organised catch and drive move to which Chard had no answer but the visitors kicker like his Chard counterpart missed the conversion attempt. 

Chard then had a really good spell for a lengthy period and played some good rugby which was rewarded when Elliot got his second try following a training ground move from the lineout. Unfortunately the conversion was again missed but Chard held a narrow advantage.

The excellent defensive performance was well illustrated in the period just before half time when Crediton were really on top and had Chard pinned back close to their own line for what seemed an age!

The Chard defensive line was never broken though and  dynamic tackling forced Crediton to drop the ball and Chard were able to clear their lines. Jake Wade had a solid game at fly half as did the entire back line.

At half time the score was Chard 10 plays Crediton 5.

The second half followed much the same pattern as the first but with less than ten minutes to go Crediton at last made the breakthrough and crossed for their second try.

The conversion looked straight forward but Chard breathed a sigh of relief as it sailed wide. It certainly would have been cruel on Chard to go behind at this point.

The spectators were no doubt thinking a draw against Crediton would still be no mean feat but in the final minutes following a series of scrummages Chard won a penalty in front of the posts but a long way back.

Up to this point no points from either side had come from the boot but Oscar Anderson stepped up and calmly slotted the ball between the sticks to give Chard victory.

Next Saturday Chard are away to Truro and the 2nd xv are at home to Wells 2nd xv with  both games kicking off at 2 30pm.