Newton Abbot 14-17 Chard

When Chard and Newton Abbot played each other in early October the Devon side took full advantage of a wayward pass in the closing minutes to make a timely interception and run the whole length of the field to score a try which gave them a narrow victory in a very tight game.

This game would be just as nervous in the final quarter for the Chard players and their supporters who made the journey but on the balance of play Chard certainly deserved to win this one and will actually be rather disappointed that they did not also get a try bonus point.

The pitch was heavy but perfectly playable and Chard started off really well and tactically got things right.

Chard took the lead after 8 minutes when their forwards pushed the hosts back over their own line and Max Gosden touched down for the opening try which was well converted by Oscar Anderson. 0-7

Territorially Chard had the upper hand and increased their lead when number 8 Jack Elliot touched down for the 2nd try which this time went unconverted. 0-12

Chard really dominated the first half and got their just reward when Elliot scored try number three shortly before the interval. 

In the opening half the only time that Newton Abbot were in the game when they were gifted possession by a few missed kicks to touch which also was the direct cause of a Chard player being sent to the bin for a high tackle.

The home team were different animal in the 2nd half and were on top for long periods. Their forwards played a lot better and their backs looked sharp when they had the ball. Chard were under pressure from the off and conceded a try within a few minutes and with this being converted suddenly it was game on! 7-17.

Fortunately for Chard their defensive play was outstanding with Matt Tinley and Ross Colenso to the fore but to be far the whole team tackled their heart out. Another home player was sent to the bin for a high tackle and this was expected to be the time when Chard would go on and push for  their 4th try.

It was not to be however, and Chard got a taste of their own medicine when with ten minutes to go they were pushed back over their own line for a second home try which again was converted. 14-17

The final minutes were hectic to put it mildly but Chard again defended superbly and held on for a very important victory which was thoroughly deserved. 

Chard will be hoping that they can build on this display when they face North Petherton at home next Saturday at 2pm.