Chard Hockey Mens Firstd 0-1 Exeter University 7s

LAST weekend saw Chard Men’s 1s take on Exeter University at home in what was a tightly fought contest.

Chard started strongly with the Exeter back four getting confused and consistently passing to Chard players, one of which had recently passed through his England trials but was showing no signs of tiredness.

A stunning display from the Exeter goal keeper kept them in the game as Chard continued the attack.

It was clear that Barnaby Willis was having a great time.

Chard captain Johnny Crease had demanded bodies on the line in his pre match speech which led to him stopping a short corner drag flick with a ball-finger-stick combination.

The hosts did not let their heads drop as they watched Crease leave the pitch but the remaining defenders took a pragmatic decision not to stop the next drag flick which following an unstoppable Exeter stick deflection left the visitors leading 1-0 at half time.

The second half saw continued pressure from Chard with multiple overt and secret circle penetrations and Exeter players being sent to the sin bin by strong Chard umpires.

Chasing the game Chard were guilty of being a bit direct and very occasionally dribbling too much.

The second half finished a draw and a perhaps Exeter deserved the win for but Chard will feel like more was there for the taking.

In other news at the club this week, the U14s travelled this morning to Yeovil to play Bridgwater and Yeovil in the next Tournament.

Chard was represented by 30 girls and boys in four teams which resulted in a very busy morning for the coaches.

All teams gained wins against a younger inexperienced Bridgwater side, but Yeovil Mixed proved tougher opposition resulting in close matches.

Luke Bradshaw made several good saves, Marcie Russell was a driving force in midfield and Layla Anderson in attack, strong tackling and a more confident Verity Jones in defence.

There were goals a plenty but pleased to see Izzie Herbert score her first goal.