Uhlsport Somerset County League
Premier Division
Ilminster Town 1, Stockwood Green 2

ILMINSTER Town missed the chance to pull away from the division’s bottom two sides, as they lost 2-1 at home to fellow strugglers Stockwood Green on Saturday, writes Andy Fish.

The visitors produced a real smash and grab performance, with the forward Andy Nash scoring twice and some backs-to-the-wall defending earning them a first win of the season.

The Blues threw everything at them in the last half an hour but could not find the back of the net, with the Stockwood goalkeeper making four or five excellent saves.

Ilminster had started brightly, but the visitors’ first venture forward saw Jack Rutter fail to deal with a long ball, and Nash gladly accepted the gift to tuck the ball away.

The home side drew level on the half-hour, when Taylor Jefferson produced a great run and finish for a really classy goal.

Jefferson was denied a second by the linesman’s flag, and while the Blues continued to push on after the break, they were limited to shots from distance.

Against the run of play, a long ball forward found Nash in space and he cleverly worked an opening to make it 2-1.

Louis Rutter - making his long-awaited return after an operation on his knee - saw a header graze the top of the bar, while Brad Pitman’s low shot was superbly saved.

Karl Davis was pushed further forward as Ilminster went three at the back, and he delivered at least four dangerous looking balls into the area, but his team-mates could not get on the end of them.

Louis Rutter was twice denied by the keeper, and it was not to be the Blues' day.

Ilminster Town: Jack Rutter, Mike Whitefield, Doug Whitfield, Sam Sheldrake, Noah Kruszynski, Rich Crabb, Will Spurway, Ben Pitman, Brad Pitman, Karl Davis, Taylor Jefferson. Subs (used): Bruno Domingues, Chris Nezianya, Louis Rutter.

Nailsea United are the visitors to the Archie Gooch Pavilion this coming Saturday (3pm).


ILMINSTER'S fellow Somerset County League sides Chard Town and Combe St Nicholas also lost.

Chard remain without a point in the Premier Division, after a 6-3 home defeat to Nailsea United.

The Robins dominated the opening 10 minutes, and Daniel Collins gave them a deserved lead.

That was followed by a crazy seven-minute spell which saw five goals scored and Nailsea lead 4-2!

It was Harry Boddington who scored Chard's second, and the hosts were denied a third by a goal-line clearance as it remained 4-2 at half-time.

Still no more goals arrived until the 80th minute, when Nailsea made it 5-2.

James Boyland cut in from the left to score a great goal for the Robins, but the visitors had the last word with their sixth goal.

Matthew Day, Mark Iles and Ewan Williams scored two goals apiece for Nailsea.

Chard host Chilcompton Sports this Saturday.

Division 3 side Combe lost 5-3 at Nailsea United Reserves, despite a hat-trick for Jack Steer.

Nathan Shipway (2), Ben Pinkney, Michael Price and James Taylor netted for the hosts.

Combe entertain Yatton & Cleeve United Reserves on Saturday.