SOMERSET achieved their highest ever T20 score away from Taunton as they defeated winless Worcestershire Rapids by 16 runs to secure their second win from four Vitality Blast Central Group matches.

Steve Davies continued his fine batting form at Edgbaston as he top scored with 60 in a total of 229-8, which also featured 42 from the returning Babar Azam.

It was a total Somerset had only surpassed twice, in scoring 250-6 against Gloucestershire in 2006 and 235-5 versus Middlesex in 2011 - both at their home ground.

They were aided by some indisciplined bowling by their opponents, who conceded 14 wides and three no balls, and saw skipper Ed Barnard removed from the attack for bowling successive high full tosses.

Jake Libby (75*) and Daryl Mitchell (45) lifted Worcestershire's total to a respectable 213-7, but Josh Davey returned 4-41 to help keep them out of reach.

Davies, who has scored centuries on his last two appearances in the County Championship at Edgbaston, provided the perfect platform for Somerset in a first-wicket partnership of 90 runs with Pakistan IT20 captain Babar.

The partnership was broken by Mitchell, who enticed Babar to chop onto his stumps after scoring 42 from 35 balls (four fours and one six).

James Hildreth came and went for a 14-ball 26, and Davies' excellent knock ended on 60 (off 35 balls, with eight fours and two sixes) when he was caught by Ross Whiteley at deep square leg, off Dillon Pennington (2-40).

Mitchell (3-35) returned to dismiss Tom Abell (21) and returning T20 captain Lewis Gregory (0) off successive deliveries, leaving Somerset on 158-5.

The runs kept coming, though, as Eddie Byrom made 18 and Ben Green 14, before Barnard was removed from the attack for bowling successive high full tosses - despatched for four and six by Roelof van der Merwe - at the start of the 19th over.

Adam Finch had to complete the over, which cost a total of 29 runs, and Van der Merwe ended up with 25* from nine balls.

Set 230 to win, Worcestershire had to score at more than 11 an over, and they were soon losing wickets in pursuit of that daunting target.

Riki Wessels (1) skied Gregory to Davey at mid-on, and Ollie Sale dismissed both Hamish Rutherford (22) and Jack Haynes (20).

Davey claimed his first wicket when Ben Cox (7) offered a return catch to the Scot, who promptly sent Whiteley (15) packing after a fine low catch from Sale.

Libby brought up the Worcestershire 100 with a six in the 12th over, but he lost another partner when Barnard (11) was trapped lbw by Davey.

Mitchell (45 off 22 balls) added good support before becoming Davey's fourth victim, and Worcestershire came up 16 runs short despite Libby's late defiance - his 75* coming off 46 balls, with seven fours and two sixes.

Sale finished with 2-43 and Gregory an economical 1-34 for the visitors, both off four overs.

Somerset are back in action tomorrow (Friday, 6.30pm), at home to Birmingham Bears, before facing Worcestershire again on Sunday, for a four-day Bob Willis Trophy match which offers a spot in the Lord's final to the winning side.