Verde Recreo Men’s League South East 1

Tiverton 3, Chard 5

Chard men’s 1st XI carried their winning streak into the new year with a hard-fought victory at fellow promotion chasers Tiverton.

The team’s eighth win in a row keeps them third but the result didn’t come easily, with the squad showing the rustiness you would expect after nearly a month without competitive action.

Despite this, Chard did put together a few dangerous early attacks with left winger Harvey Lupton coming close.

It was his brother Bertie who got the first goal, drag-flicking past Tiverton’s defence after a well-executed penalty corner.

Tiverton were dangerous on the break throughout the game and caught Chard out several times by hitting through or over the midfield to their lone striker.

This earned them an equaliser before the teams exchanged goals again.

Bertie Lupton finished off another penalty corner before Tiverton scrambled the ball in after some confusion in Chard’s D.

Chard went in 3-2 up thanks to Ben Larcombe sweeping home.

Barnaby Willis’ dribbling frustrated Chard’s opponents throughout the second half and the 16-year-old capped another fine performance with a sharp deflected finish for the fourth goal.

Tiverton pushed hard in the last 15 minutes and snatched a third but left space at the back for Chard to exploit.

The game was effectively over when right winger Matt Sheahan started and finished a sweeping counter attack.

Man of the match: Tom Angel

Chard host Isca D on Saturday.

South East 2

Mid Somerset A 5, Chard A 5

CHARD men’s 2nd XI showed guts and resilience to snatch a point in a 10-goal thriller in Wells, scoring twice in the final five minutes to end third-placed Mid Somerset’s 100 per cent home record and keep themselves top of the table.

This game had everything, including outstanding individual goals, excellent saves from both goalkeepers, high standard passing hockey and, for Chard, a Harvey Dening hat-trick on his birthday.

When Chard broke the deadlock, it was courtesy of some magic from veteran midfielder Trevor Goss.

From outside the right flank of the D, he dribbled past three defenders and stabbed the ball into the net, wrong-footing the keeper who was expecting him to cross.

Mid Somerset got back on level terms through a penalty flick which Rockett was desperately unlucky not to save.

With two minutes left in the first half, the away side went back in front, Jason Goddard applying the finishing touch in another goalmouth scramble.

Any hopes of going in ahead were dashed within a minute, as one of Mid Somerset’s young forwards scored a fine solo effort.

From the start of the second half, Mid Somerset played a forward up in Chard’s D at all times and were a constant threat, while the visitors continued to exhibit slick passing and movement.

The hosts went 3-2 up, but Chard’s response was calm and swift - Goddard crossing from the right for Dening to equalise.

The true test of Chard’s mettle was still to come, as two goals in two minutes gave Mid Somerset a 5-3 advantage.

Time was ticking away, and Chard looked despondent but Goddard threw the team a lifeline with an audacious piece of individual skill with under five minutes remaining.

Collecting the ball on the halfway line, he sprinted down the wing then turned in along the backline before teeing up Dening to make it 5-4.

Mid Somerset had continued to pile forward but this tactic backfired when the hosts lost possession close to Chard’s D.

Tom Eames collected the loose ball and fired a pass upfield to Dening, lurking at the top of the home D.

He slipped his marker and blasted the ball past the advancing keeper to complete a stunning comeback.

Chard team: I Rockett, T Eames (c), N Gage, R Millett, S Mahoney, T Goss, J Goddard, J Green, R Squire, G Eggle, H Dening.


CHARD entered two boys and two girls teams in Sunday morning’s Under-14s Hockey Tournament at King’s College, Taunton.

The boys’ first team won two and lost one of three very competitive games.

First was a hard-fought 2-1 win against Bruton, before a tough game against Taunton Vale which saw Chard start slowly and go three down very quickly.

Chard scored twice before half-time but Vale added two more after the break.

Chard ended with a convincing 3-1 win against Taunton Civil Service.

The boys’ second team are less experienced and were up against it.

Harry Criddle defended well and Josh Truscott made good saves but the boys lost all three games.

The girls’ first team did not win a game but all games were evenly fought.

Alice Gibbins kicked well in goal and Hetty Christopher worked tirelessly.

The girls’ second team had a better morning, winning four and drawing one.

Kendra Druce and Hatty Souttar-Stone stepped up from the Under-12s and both played very well.

Friendly match

Chard 2, Honiton Hornets 1

STRONG opposition gave Chard Sunday Ladies a tough start to the new year.

Julie Saxsby, Rachel Derham, Heidi Warren and Jade Dunning provided support to the defence and to forwards Sophie Gibbins, Isobel Applegate and Sue Stoker.

Defenders Jo Gibbins, Hatty Withers and Kerry Oaten were solid at the back and Charlie Carver-Bale pulled off some stunning saves.

Chard broke the deadlock when determination and persistence led to a well-placed goal from Warren but Honiton equalised with a penalty

The second half was end-to-end and Sophie Gibbins slotted the winner when she scored from a seemingly impossible angle.