Somerset County League Premier Division

Watchet Town 4 , Chard Town 1

CHARD Town went into this game again with a rearranged line up due to player unavailability.

The enforced period without a competitive game since early December showed early on with hosts Watchet scoring twice in the first 10 minutes.

The home side continued to attack and a move down the left flank saw them get through the Chard backline to score a third goal on 22 minutes.

Chard gradually got their game together with a shot from James Boyland saved by the ‘keeper on 28 minutes before a chance for Billy Sheahan minutes later.

A deserved goal arrived for Chard when a Liam Cleal corner found Ryan Parris in position to rise above the defence and head home on 33 minutes.

Late in the first half, Chard’s ‘keeper Owen Searle pulled off two fine saves to prevent further punishment before the whistle.

On 65 minutes, Cleal crossed well from the left wing but the scoring chance was not taken.

Searle was forced into another good save while, at the other end, a Chard effort came back off the crossbar.

Watchet immediately pushed forward and, following a goalmouth scramble, a penalty was awarded.

Tom Sparks stepped up to complete his hat-trick and seal the 4-1 win.

Chard were left to rue conceding the early goals which instantly put them on the back foot, with the experienced Watchet side able to deal with any Chard attacking movements.

Chard: Owen Searle, Alex Harper, Andre Anjos (for Ryan Mason) Daniel O’Connor,(for Ryan Lewis) Conor Richardson, Ryan Parris, Billy Sheahan, Jake Board, Adam Cole, James Boyland, Liam Cleal

Uhlsport Somerset County League Premier Division

Worle 2, Ilminster Town 3

ILMINSTER Town, who were formed in 1920, began the new decade and their centenary year with an away trip to second from bottom Worle, writes Andy Fish.

After an enforced four week break due to the heavy rain in December, the Blues started sluggishly as they tried to run off the over indulgence of the festive period.

Worle started positively and it came as no surprise when, after a break down the left, their centre forward gave them the lead when he cut inside and found the bottom corner with a neat finish.

The pitch was very boggy and Ilminster, who sat too deep, failed to find any fluency with their passing on the difficult surface.

Worle were certainly the better side in the first half and went in at the break with a deserved 1-0 advantage.

Manager Charlie Rutter delivered a stern half time team talk and Ilminster took it on board as they pressed right from the start, allowing Worle no time on the bal.

Josh Philips took advantage when he stole the ball off a Worle defender on the edge of the area before running through and calmly finishing to make it 1-1.

It was all Ilminster now as the goal gave them confidence and soon a free kick was won on the edge of the box.

Andy Whitefield took charge and, after his attempt had hit the wall, Lee Sweet was alert and made no mistake with a powerful shot to make it 2-1.

Ilminster completely dominated the rest of the match and late on made it 3-1 as Phillips played a great long ball forward that caught out the Worle goalkeeper who completely misjudged the flight.

Whitefield ran through and had the simple job of putting it in the back of the net to celebrate his 200th appearance for the first team in style.

Worle did pull a goal back in the last minute to make it 3-2, but on a difficult surface and after the long break this was a good win for the Blues.

Ilminster were, unsurprisingly, not at their best but any win away from home is a good win and putting minutes in the legs was just as important.

Lee Sweet kept driving the team forward and got his reward with a goal and certainly deserved to be named man of the match.

Ilminster Town: Jack Rutter, Luke Paul, Darren Hutchings, Owen Burn, Doug Whitfield (C), Chris Hastings, Will Spurway, Lee Sweet, Josh Phillips, Charlie Rutter, Andy Whitefield; subs used: Richard Crabb, Noah Kruszynski, Taylor Jefferson

Uhlsport Somerset County League Division 3

Chew Magna 2, Combe St Nicholas 0

COMBE faced an away day at top-of-the-table Chew Magna on Saturday, in high spirits on the back of some good form.

The young Saints started brightly and looked dangerous attacking with pace.

Jack Steer, twice, and Joe Allen had shots when in good positions but the home goalkeeper saved well.

Chew were playing their direct style and were dangerous on set-pieces, putting Combe goalkeeper Joe Draper under pressure, but he held firm.

With both sides cancelling each other out, Chew broke away and Combe conceded a needless free-kick 22 yards out, which home skipper Charlie Dymond struck firmly into the bottom corner.

Combe kept plugging away in the second half but just lacked that cutting edge when well placed.

Chew then got the all important next goal, catching the Saints on the counter-attack, and Niall Hodge finished it off.

The young Saints never let their heads drop and kept up the pressure on Chew, only for the keeper to save Adam Male’s point-blank header and also keep out Sam Rowswell’s long-range shot.

The visitors persevered with trying to play good football on a difficult pitch and were nearly rewarded with the move of the game involving numerous players ending in Jack Male’s shot just inches wide with the keeper beaten.

Combe manager Darren Manley was very happy with his young team’s performance and on another day they could have got a win but for a man-of-the-match performance from the home keeper.