Somerset County League Premier & First Division Cup

Chard Town 5, Somerton Town 2

Chard Town moved into the second round of the Somerset League Cup with a 5-2 victory over neighbours Somerton on Saturday.

There was much aimless football in the first half, until Chard hit a purple patch just before half time.

On the 15-minute mark, a push by Dan O'Connor right on the edge of the penalty area, in a situation which carried no danger, saw Rhys Dyer put Somerton ahead from the spot.

After 38 minutes, an equally soft penalty saw Chard draw level when Andy Holmes netted from the spot after Liam Cleal was tripped by Tom Westlake when going nowhere.

Suddenly Chard started to play and were ahead two minutes later, when a defender could only help Ryan Parris shot into the net.

Two minutes later it was 3-1, as Holmes drove home a low shot from 15 yards after Alex Harper had been heavily involved in the build-up.

Still Chard were not finished.

Harper saw his header tipped over by Somerton 'keeper Sam Smith and Ryan Parris was only inches away from Holmes' low cross.

Six minutes into the second half, a free kick 25 yards out from Liam Cleal saw James Boyland back heel the ball into the net.

Somerton pulled one back after 59 minutes with a fine low finish from James Brown, although a Chard defender appeared to be fouled in the build up.

There followed a flurry of cards and sin bins, culminating in Chard's Ryan Mason being shown a red card.

In stoppage time, Chard's Marky Jones turned his marker on the halfway line to race away and drive the ball low past the advancing Smith to complete the nap hand.

The real winner on the day was Chard chairman/groundsman Lyndsey Gage, who worked nearly up to kick off to get the ground fit after all the heavy rain.

Chard:Owen Searle, Ryan Mason, Danny Cleal, Andrew Holmes,Conor Richardson, Ryan Parris, Alex Harper, Harry Boddington, Dan O'Connor, James Boyland, Liam Cleal. Subs: Tom Stephens-Fouracre, Marky Jones

Division 2 & 3 Cup

Combe St Nicholas 3, Middlezoy Rovers Res 5

DIVISION 2 leaders Middlezoy Rovers Reserves made the short trip to Slade's Cross to play a Combe side short on numbers for various reasons.

After an even first 20 minutes, a needless foul by the Saints resulted in a goal for the visitors from the set-piece.

Combe were still pressing but Zoy got their second from their impressive centre forward.

The home side didn't let this get them down and created good chances through Charlie Male, Adam Male and Dan Anjos but went in at the break 2-0 down.

The Saints were looking after the ball a lot better in the second half, and got a goal back through Jack Steer.

Middlezoy were a little rattled at this point, but got the next goal from a corner.

Combe went straight up the other end and got a cracking team goal, after good work by Jack Steer and Kieran Manley resulted in Adam Male finishing well.

Unfortunately for the hosts, they didn't learn from previous fouls and conceded another goal from a set-piece.

The home side kept plugging away and with 10 minutes to go Adam Male got his second to make it an exciting last few minutes, but the visitors got a fifth in the dying moments to go through to the next round.

Combe return to Division 3 action this coming Saturday, away to Draycott (ko 3pm).