CHARD Rugby Club's girls teams entered the Minehead Pinks Festival, where lots of local teams get together to celebrate girls rugby, playing in either 10s or 7s format.

The Chard Under-11 girls were in the youngest age group and they impressed by showing off the skills picked up in training, scoring lots of tries between them.

The Under-15s teamed up with Wellington and gave a good account of themselves, again putting into practice the training received and making good progress in the four games they played, demonstrating some awesome tackling and rucking.

The Under-18s played three games, showing skill and determination to come away with two wins.

Talia Treble scored a hat-trick of tries in the first game, and three Chard girls – Dani, Rita and Natalia – were nominated for awards in the presentation after the games.


Friendly match

Crewkerne Veterans 12, Chard Veterans 29

ON one of the hottest days of the year so far, Crewkerne hosted Chard Veterans in the traditional Easter fixture, writes Gavin Smillie.

All the players needed to be over 35 years of age to take part and many eased past this requirement.

Crewkerne put pressure on Chard from the start, using the ball well and forcing the visitors to defend their own line for long periods, before eventually breaking through with a converted try.

From the restart, Chard entered the Crewkerne half for the first time in the game but a loose ball allowed Crewkerne to clear their lines and camp in the Chard half once again; it wasn’t long before they crossed for their second try, though this time the conversion was missed (12-0).

After a drinks break, Crewkerne continued to apply pressure on Chard, but Wayne Lewis’ pinpoint kick then put the Crewkerne defence on the back foot for the first time in the game.

Some frantic tackling from the home side slowed the advance but the ball was moved out the wing and Stuart Sugar showed his pace to cross for Chard’s opening score.

The visitors went on the attack once again and Andrew McKerrow crossed in the corner.

The tempo continued but nether team could get the upper hand and at half-time Crewkerne led 12-10.

It was Chard’s turn to put on the pressure after the break, and good interplay between Ross Fanyinka and Ben Stead broke through the Crewkerne defence, Stead going under the posts for a converted try.

Fanyinka was in action again soon after and skipped through the defence for a deserved try under the posts; Stead kicked the extras.

Chard now had their tails up and went on the attack once more; retaining the ball in the pack led by Brian Sugar, they worked their way towards the line.

John Hewitt and Ryan were pivotal in the momentum of the final drive with Steve Long getting the ball down in a tangle of bodies, but the well-positioned referee had a clear view of Chard’s fifth and final try of the day.

For the last 10 minutes Crewkerne threw everything they had left at Chard, with the visitors conceding multiple penalties, but their defence held firm.

The large crowd had been treated to a quality game of rugby, and both clubs will take pride in fielding a total of 45 players of a certain age.

They will already be looking forward to the Boxing Day fixture between the two teams.