Uhlsport Somerset County League
Premier Division
Ilminster Town 3, Nailsea United 2

ILMINSTER Town consolidated their hold on a top-half spot with a 3-2 win over the team directly below them in the table, Nailsea United, on Saturday, writes Andy Fish.

With goalkeeper Chris May suspended, Andrew Male came in, as did Carl Lazenby for Owen Burn.

The Blues had plenty of the ball early on, without threatening much, while the visitors from South Bristol looked dangerous on the break.

Nailsea skipper Stuart Lee headed narrowly over from a corner, and he then combined with Matt Day, but Doug Whitfield made a vital block.

But then the visitors won a free-kick, and after Luke Paul failed to clear his lines, Lee was in the right place to side-foot home for 1-0.

The Blues were behind at half-time, but then levelled almost immediately after the break.

Lee Sweet combined with Josh Phillips, and the youngster ran down the left before cutting inside and finding the bottom corner with his right foot for a brilliant solo goal.

After Male had made a fine save at one end, Phillips set off at pace down the left again, before finding Andy Whitefield, who picked out Sweet, the winger ending a 40-yard run with a tap-in to make it 2-1.

Whitefield assisted the hosts’ third goal, too, as he burst into the box and was fouled; Taylor Jefferson stepped up to make it 3-1 from the spot.

Nailsea were not finished though, as Lee broke down the right and crossed for Day to score.

This led to a nervy final 10 minutes for the home side, but the Blues held out for their 13th league win of the season.

Ilminster Town: Andrew Male, Luke Paul, Josh Phillips, Doug Whitfield, Brad Miles, Brad Pitman, Ben Pitman,Lee Sweet, Andy Whitefield, Taylor Jefferson, Carl Lazenby. Sub (used) - Steve Rodber.

Man of the match (sponsored by Ilminster Chiropractor and Wellbeing Centre): Andrew Male

This week brings two away matches for the Blues – Middlezoy Rovers on Good Friday and Wrington Redhill on Easter Monday (both ko 3pm).


ILMINSTER Town Reserves came from behind to beat Thorncombe 6-3 after extra time, and make the Daisy Hutchings Cup final.

Thorncombe went ahead, but headers from Sam Tratt and Jake Woodard, plus a Tom Fletcher strike, put the Blues 3-1 up at half-time.

The visitors made it 3-3 at 90 minutes, but with Thorncombe down to 10 men, goals from Jordan Allen, Kieran Manley and Fletcher won it for Ilminster.

Blues first team boss Andy Dyke was there to watch the youngsters, and he said afterwards: “I thought Owen Burn, Jordan Allen and Kieran Manley were especially brilliant in a great team display; the club is in a real strong position.”


Uhlsport Somerset County League
Division 3
Combe St Nicholas 2, Cheddar Reserves 2

THE Cheesemen were the visitors to Slade’s Cross on Saturday, and are flying at the top of the table.

The game settled quickly, with Cheddar on top and keeping the Saints penned in.

Cheddar had the first chance when Oli Hine was adjudged to have brought down the attacker inside the box, but Nath Fisher saved the penalty, tipping it on to the crossbar.

Combe’s youngsters grew from this and took the lead from a counter-attack, with Luke Perry crossing for Dan Anjos to rise at the far post; his header hit the bar, but Jack Male was on hand to tap in.

In the second half, the Saints were flying and Luke Perry crossed for Jack Steer to tap into the open goal, but somehow he put it over the bar.

Cheddar were beginning to press now and equalised from a corner.

Combe’s lads didn’t let this get them down, though, and retook the lead five minutes later from a Scott Jennings near-post run.

The hosts then defended well, limiting Cheddar to long shots, but the visitors got a share of the spoils with a headed goal in the last minute of the 90.

Combe’s final game of the season is this Saturday, away to Chew Magna (ko 3pm).