Toolstation Western League First Division

Bishop Sutton 0, Chard Town 0

A GOALLESS draw with a share of the points just about sums up this game at Bishop Sutton on Saturday.

In the first half both sides were awarded early free kicks with Chard Town managing a shot direct to the home ‘keeper on 15 minutes together with an accurate through ball by Stephen Friend wasted when the subsequent shot was wide.

The remainder of the half could not produce much in the way of clear attacking football from either side with Bishop Sutton wide on 40 minutes and into the side netting some four minutes later with Chard only able to win a corner on the half-time whistle.

The second half continued in much the same vein with both goalkeepers able to deal with any efforts together with good resistance from both defences.

Bishop Sutton had a shot saved 60 minutes to be followed by several free kicks for both sides with Chard’s efforts not producing a finish or landing wide of the target.

A good run down the right flank by Max Westlake saw the final ball headed over the bar.

Late in the game Bishop Sutton had a great opportunity to break the deadlock but an open goal was missed (the flag was up to spare blushes).

This was followed by Chard’s ‘keeper Scott Wells-Burr punching the ball away from a corner kick before a corner at the other end saw Chard have their best chance to wrap up the game but a shot missed the target.

Neither side made good use of the wings on a wide pitch and no doubt Chard did miss the speed and finish normally provided by the injured James Boyland.

Credit, however, again goes to Chard captain Kieran Bailey for a man of the match performance.

Chard: Scott Wells-Burr, Elliot Dyer, (for Oliver Pearson 89mins), Thomas Salter, Andrew Holmes, Kieran Bailey Capt. Ben Haines, Max Westlake, Nathan Warren, Stephen Friend, Ryan Parris, Liam Cleal. Sub not used Jacob Manley

Macron Devon & Exeter Division 1

Chard Res 3, Sidmouth Res 4

DEFENSIVE errors cost Chard dearly as they went down in a seven-goal thriller at home to Sidmouth in Division 1 of the Devon & Exeter league last Saturday.

Chard started brightly and deservedly went ahead after 11 minutes when Chris Atyeo headed home Willetts’ corner kick.

Two minutes later, Sidmouth were level as Chard were caught out by a long ball.

Christian Blango put Chard back in front in the 22nd minute.

However, by the 43rd minute, Chard were 4-2 down, as the visitors took advantage of sloppy defensive play.

Chard got themselves back in the game in the 65th minute when Brad Loaring touched home Willetts’ corner at the near post.

Despite Sidmouth having a player sent off after 80 minutes, all Chard’s pressure came to nothing.

Chard: Cunnold, Smith T, Every C, Loaring, Atyeo, Board, Mason, Anjos A, Harper, Willetts, Blango. Subs (used) - Contreras, Lewis.