Toolstation Western League First Division

Chard Town 0, Corsham 3

THREE weeks since any competitive football for the Robins seemed to show when on Saturday they unfortunately suffered defeat at Zembard Lane, writes Rod Harrington.

The result enabled Corsham to complete the double and stretch the home side’s losing run to three games.

The Robins never recovered, however, from an unlucky start on five minutes when Kieran Bailey, in attempting to clear a low cross, saw the ball inadvertently slip past Scott Wells-Burr into the net.

Despite a fine strike by Nathan Warren from a distance which tested the Corsham keeper, the visitors found themselves two goals up after 16 minutes.

From a corner, defender Alistair Mayoh rose to head in from relatively close range.

Hitherto, most of Chard’s attacking threat came from midfielder Warren, who played his customary wholehearted role in the centre of the park but, towards the break, the side began to impose a bit more pressure up front.

A couple of corners and a goalmouth melee could have resulted in a Chard goal and Max Westlake racing into the penalty area might have been felled on the edge of the box.

The referee was nevertheless unmoved.

Unfortunately, that was as good as it was going to get.

Corsham, while not appearing that impressive, proved to be a powerful outfit and striker Josh Bright was a constant lively presence for the Robins’ defence to try to manage.

One bright spot for the home side, however, was the introduction of new signing Joe Smith on the teamsheet.

In the second half, growing into his role, he looked particularly promising.

He showed good control outside the box before firing just a whisker over the bar; then, a few minutes before the final whistle, he rattled the bar with another excellent effort.

In time added on, the visitors were able to add a third goal.

Bright raced on to a through ball from substitute Max Whittaker and just beat Wells-Burr to put the ball in the net.

Chard - Scott Wells-Burr, Ben Haines, Tom Salter, Ryan Parris (Steve Friend 89 mins), Kieran Bailey, Sam Smith, Max Westlake (Josh Lukins 66 mins), Nathan Warren, Dan Collins (Christian Blango 37 mins), Joe Smith, Liam Cleal. Sub (not used) - - Brad Loaring.

Macron Devon & Exeter League Division 1

Wellington Res 3, Chard Res 1

CHARD suffered their ninth successive away defeat in going down at neighbours Wellington last Saturday.

Early appeals for a penalty were turned down after Alex Harper, who troubled Wellington all afternoon, was felled from behind when clean through.

Two setpiece goals - a free-kick after 25 minutes and an edge-of-the-box drive following a corner - put Wellington into a strong half-time lead.

A penalty three minutes into the second half made it 3-0 to the home side, before Chard went on to enjoy their best spell.

Harper sent a half-volley inches over, before Craig Every headed one back, from a superb Harper cross.

Ryan Lewis was then thwarted by a last-ditch tackle after a long run.

Chard: Cunnold, Smith T, Atyeo, Board, Dodd, Anjos A, Mason, Every C, Lewis, Contreras, Harper. Subs used Scott, Anjos D, Tooze.

Chard Reserves are without a game this weekend.

Somerset Floodlight Youth League

South Division

Glastonbury Under-18s 1, Chard Town Under-18s 4

THE Young Robins overcame a strong challenge from a determined Glastonbury side on a heavy pitch to go seven points clear at top.

Heavy rainfall made it difficult to play a passing game and Glastonbury were the first to adapt.

That said, Chard did get the breakthrough on 15 minutes as an excellent ball from Miko Gorski was picked up at pace by Marky Jones, who managed to dink the ball past the oncoming keeper into the far-left hand side of the goal.

Excellent goalkeeping by Mackenzie Drysdale kept Chard in front on 20 minutes as he stood up strong to deny a clear opening on goal.

It was 2-0 to Chard on 36 minutes as a cross from Ryan Lewis was headed into his own net by a Glastonbury defender.

Drysdale came to Chard’s rescue again before the break, tipping a fierce strike over the bar.

Chard struggled at the start of the second half and Glastonbury pulled a goal back on 72 minutes.

The home side sensed their chance to draw level but a breakaway goal on 75 minutes when Miko Gorski pounced on Harry Perren's pass and rounded the keeper to score.

Further saves from Mackenzie Drysdale were needed until Marky Jones punished some poor defending on the stoke of full-time to bring some shine to the scoreline.