Toolstation Western League First Division

Chard Town 3, Bishop Sutton 0

THE Robins got back to winning ways after an excellent second half performance against mid-table Bishop Sutton on Saturday at Zembard Lane, writes Rod Harrington.

The first half was fairly forgettable with the home side probably launching far too many long balls which the visitors' defence easily defended.

On one occasion, however, Liam Cleal was unlucky when his effort looked goalbound, only for defender Scott Hatcher to hack it off the line at the last gasp.

It appeared that the management had had words at the break when a completely revitalised Chard took the lead on 48 minutes.

A trademark throw from Andrew Holmes, who had a very effective game both in attack and defence, met the head of Ryan Parris and his glancing header did the rest.

James Boyland then had a shot just wide before the crowd was treated to a repeat of the first goal.

From the same position on the touchline Holmes fired his rocket and Parris this time neatly popped the ball into the corner of the net on 60 minutes.

These were two fine goals from the Chard utility player.

Then, just three minutes later, Boyland, who had been creative throughout, latched on to a loose ball, drew his defender and turned inside to slip the ball past the Bishop Sutton keeper for the third goal.

A bit of shirt-tugging on Max Westlake a few minutes later brought about a penalty award but Parris wasn't so fortunate this time when his spot kick was saved.

Alex Cunnold, deputising for Scott Wells-Burr in the Robins' goal, was only seriously called into action in the final minutes when he punched away Jack Goddard's fine effort.

Chard - Alex Cunnold, Elliot Dyer, Olliver Pearson, Andrew Holmes, Kieran Bailey, Matt Howell, Max Westlake, Ben Haines, Ryan Parris (Dan Collins 81 mins), James Boyland, Liam Cleal (Alex Harper 83 mins). Sub not used - Steve Friend.

Chard return to action on Boxing Day with a short trip to Bishops Lydeard (11.30am).