CHARD Rugby Club's first XV were left frustrated at the weekend when they travelled to Bideford only for the match to be postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

Their frustration only grew upon discovering league rules stipulate the match must be replayed on the next free weekend, which is this Saturday, meaning Chard look set for another trip to North Devon.

Somerset 2 South

Chard 2nds 40, Martock 7

CHARD'S Wing Commanders hosted Martock in terrible conditions on Saturday, made worse by the visitors arriving late leaving Chard and the officials wondering if the game would go ahead.

The first half wasn't the best display by the home team, with lots of errors all over the park, but they did enough to stop Martock from scoring and crossed the line a few times themselves but only Dan Potter made it count giving Chard a slender 7-0 advantage at half-time.

For the first 20 minutes of the second half, Chard scored at will with two tries from Joel Nicholls and one each from Benn Mainwaring, Ronan Treble and Nick Lester - all bar one were converted by Dan Potter.

The last 20 reverted to a similar display as the first half with errors creeping back in, but the work had already been done.

Ben Partridge took the 10 position and showed a fine display of territorial kicking, proving what a versatile player he is.

Martock did manage to get a score near the end and this will only go to underline to the Chard team that a game of rugby is 80 minutes.

Chard's manager Luke Aplin said that although he was pleased with the bonus point win he felt that opportunities were missed.

Somerset 3 South

Chard 3rds 22, Wincanton 12

On a very wet day, Chard 3s hosted Wincanton at Crewkerne Road.

The kick-off was delayed for half an hour whilst the home team and official waited for the visitors to arrive.

When they did, they were short of a few players and Chard loaned to make up the numbers.

Wincanton got off to the stronger start and scored within the first five minutes with a converted try and it wasn't long before they crossed the line once again, giving them a 12-point lead.

As the game progressed the condition of the pitch deteriorated, with thick mud forcing the slower game, something that suits the Chard team and they were rewarded with a try from David Lock before half-time.

In the second half Chard had the advantage of the slope and made it count using their forwards well to dominate position and they were solid in defence when needed.

Steve Larcombe crossed the line first with a terrific run through the gap getting Chard back in the game at 10-12 and Lock was soon over again with a run down the wing scoring just left of the post giving Kevin George an easier kick to put the hosts in front for the first time 17-12.

The last score of the day came from another outstanding piece of work from Owen Furseman, who did all the hard work from deep in his own half.

He was unable to get the ball down over the line due to an outstanding last-ditch defence from Wincanton but Neil Henley was on hand and took the ball to score the final points of the game.