Toolstation Western League

First Division

Keynsham Town 4, Chard Town 0

CHARD Town came down to earth on Saturday as their run of six straight league wins was ended by fellow high-fliers Keynsham Town.

In wind and driving rain, the home side used their knowledge of playing at home on the all-weather 3G surface to secure the three points and take them up to second place equal on 41 points with Cheddar, putting Chard back to third on 38.

The first half saw Keynsham create most of the early attacking play with a corner on five minutes and a chance from a through-in on 15 minutes.

Chard did produce a good run by Steve Friend on 25 minutes but the resulting move into the home area came to nothing with the ball lost out to the Keynsham midfield.

Several free-kicks for both sides followed but they could not produce a finish for either side.

Late in the first half, Liam Cleal crossed well but an effort by Ryan Parris was wide of the target.

Keynsham continued to take the game to Chard and the opening goal came on just before the break when Harley Purnell scored direct from a free kick taken some 25 yards out.

The second half continued in much the same vein for Keynsham when a move down the middle allowed Steff Lee to put through a first time shot on 50 minutes for a two-goal lead.

With James Boyland on for Ryan Parris and Dan Collins for Steve Friend, Chard did push forward for a short period but they did not trouble the home keeper with Keynsham playing to their strengths using the wing men to set up some swift moves going forward leading to two further goals late in the game for Keynsham.

The third on 80 minutes when Nathan Curnock went direct through the Chard defence to score past keeper Scott Wells-Burr who then brought off a couple of good saves but could not prevent a fourth coming well into time added on.

Chard: Scott Wells-Burr, Elliot Dyer, Ben Haines, Andrew Holmes, Kieran Bailey, capt Matthew Howell, Max Westlake, Nathan Warren, Stephen Friend, Ryan Parris, Liam Cleal. Subs: James Boyland (for Ryan Parris 60mins), Dan Collins (for Stephen Friend 68mins), Alex Harper (for Max Westlake 70mins).

Manager Jamie Manley made no excuses,saying: “We were beaten by the better side on the day, we were not up to our usual standard on the 3G surface.

“Keynsham adapted much better and although we frustrated them until nearly half-time, we were undone by a wicked deflection from a free-kick.

“A quick second goal after the break from a defensive mistake left us chasing the game and Keynsham punished us.”


AFTER a dry week the heavy rain returned in the early hours of Saturday morning, and so for the third week running Ilminster Town’s scheduled match was cancelled due to a waterlogged pitch, writes Andy Fish.

Having been due to host Nailsea & Tickenham at the weekend, the Blues will try again this coming Saturday, with fellow mid-table side Middlezoy Rovers the visitors to the Archie Gooch Pavilion (ko 2pm).

Middlezoy did get in a 65-minute workout away at Watchet Town, before the match was abandoned with too much surface water on the pitch.

Hopefully the weather will improve for the Blues' last home match of 2018.

SUNDAY also saw Ilminster Town Ladies' first team and Reserves have their matches called off, at home to Middlezoy Rovers Ladies and away to Burnham United Ladies, respectively.

Somerset County League Division 3
Yatton & Cleeve Utd Res 2, Combe St Nicholas 4

COMBE made the trip to Yatton and Cleeve in awful weather conditions knowing it was going to be a tough game.

The Saints got off to a flyer when Luke Perry let fly from 30 yards with an unstoppable free-kick in the second minute to give them a great start.

Combe kept the pressure up with the home keeper pulling off a great save from Jack Steer, but he could do nothing five minutes later when young Steer scored with a great left-footed strike.

The visitors kept Yatton down to occasional counter attacks and the home custodian pulled off another great save from a long-range strike from Darren Brown.

With Combe totally in control, Adam Smith hit the post and Steer got their third with 15 minutes of the half left with a wonder strike.

Jack Male hit the post with the end of the half approaching but Yatton got a goal back with the last kick of the half.

The second half was a tighter affair but with Combe being patient and putting in a workman like shift kept the home side to half chances and creating numerous half chances themselves on the counter attack.

With 20 minutes of the game remaining, Yatton got their second and Combe had to sit in and keep it tight.

With the game petering out, Luke Perry broke out down the line and unselfishly squared it to Smith to tap home and kill the game off.

This was a fantastic performance with Combe gaining their first points away from home.