Somerset League Premier

Chilcompton 3, Ilminster Town 0

AFTER beating current Champions Chilcompton at home 1-0 back in August (their one and only defeat), the hosts were keen to make amends against a confident Ilminster Town after their fine recent results, writes Andy Fish.

Ilminster matched the champions for most of the match but, despite having an equal amount of opportunities, the difference between the sides was the finishing as Chilcompton took their goal-scoring chances to bring to an end the fine unbeaten run of Ilminster since Andy Dyke stepped into the hot seat.

Captain Charlie Rutter felt a tight groin in the pre-match warm up and was only deemed fit enough for the bench so Brad Pitman came into the side and it was after good inter play with his brother Ben that the pair worked an opening for Carl Lazenby as early as the fifth minute but the striker's shot went over the bar.

Chilcompton took the lead in the 13th minute against the run of play with a counter-attack as right winger Harvey Hadrill cut in and found the bottom corner.

The Blues rallied and after some good passing the usually deadly Taylor Jefferson scuffed his shot when through on goal and, shortly after, Brad Miles delivered a great cross that Carl Lazenby was caught in two minds as he tried to bring down on his chest and lost control, when a first time header may have brought success.

Just before half time, the home side should have doubled their lead but Chris May made a point blank save to keep his side in it.

Ilminster began the second half controlling the midfield where both Ben Pitman and Brad Miles were having good games and Brad Pitman and young Jack Read were causing problems with their powerful running.

On the hour mark, Kieran Robinson fed Matt Curtis who made it 2-0 to Chilcompton.

Ilminster then produced their best football, playing at a high tempo but Jack Mounty scored a great goal with the outside of his foot from just outside the box to put an unfair scoreline on to the match.

Manager Andy Dyke said: “Although not pleased with the result, I am pleased with how we played.

"It was just not our day in front of goal but we take a lot of positives from our performance.”

Dyke who has been appointed manager, has lost the services of George Miles with a long-term injury.

With Adam Male transferring to Division 3 Combe, he is looking to strengthen the squad and has some more exciting youngsters in the Reserves he is watching closely.

One of those who has broken into the first team, Jack Read, has been encouraged to take on his man and get to the byeline and it is great to see the player progress at County level.

Somerset County League Division 3

Congresbury 3, Combe St Nicholas 1

COMBE'S youngsters travelled up the M5 in buoyant mood to play Congresbury.

The early stages was all Combe, who had numerous corners and shots as Adam Male and Dan Anjos each hit the post.

With 20 minutes gone the home side took the lead from a counter attack with a cross shot that flew over the Saints 'keeper.

Combe continued to press but were caught out from a set piece and went in 2-0 down at half-time.

The visitors came out all guns blazing within the first five minutes of the restart with Oli Hine and Luke Perry both going close but not testing the 'keeper.

With the Saints' free-flowing football keeping them on top, Adam Male was brought down for a penalty which Luke Perry smashed home.

Combe continued to press but were caught out again by a route one pass that the young home striker scored.

The Saints never gave up, hitting the crossbar and having numerous corners and free-kicks, but it just turned out to one of those days.