Toolstation Western League Division One
Chard Town 1, Keynsham Town 0

WITH both teams level on points at the start of this fixture and lying in second and third places, respectively, this was always going to be a close game, writes Ian Hallett.

The home side were quickest out of the blocks but they had to wait until the sixth minute before getting a shot on target, when James Boyland’s effort brought a fine save from keeper Ash Clark.

It was not one-way traffic by any means, and Robins keeper Scott Wells-Burr did well to palm a stinging 20-yard shot from James Ollis around the post.

Chard came closest to snatching the lead in the 25th minute - a pinpoint cross from the right flank by Liam Cleal was met by Nathan Warren whose first-time volley struck the crossbar.

The deadlock was finally broken in the 58th minute when a free-kick by Oliver Pearson brought a goal-line clearance from a Keynsham defender but the ball fell kindly for Boyland, who smashed into the corner from 12 yards out.

Chard came under increasing pressure in the last quarter hour.
Matt Brown was inches wide of the post with a long range effort before strikes by Tom Knighton and substitute Matt Long brought excellent saves from Wells-Burr.

Chard came close to increasing their lead in the 83rd minute as Boyland’s ambitious chip was well saved by Clark, but in the end one goal was enough for Town to return to winning ways.

Chard: Scott Wells-Burr, Ben Haines, Oliver Pearson, Andy Holmes, Kieran Bailey, Ryan Parris, Tom Salter, Nathan Warren, Steve Friend, James Boyland, Liam Cleal (Max Westlake 70). Not used: Elliot Dyer, Jacob Manley.

Macron Devon & Exeter League Division 1
Exeter University Res 4, Chard Reserves 1

CHARD Reserves manager Ivor Hutchings was far from happy with the input of his senior players in their 4-1 away defeat at Exeter University on Saturday.

A shocking defensive error saw the hosts take an eighth-minute lead, and a second goal a minute before the break put the home side in command.

A giveaway third University goal after 55 minutes saw Chard come to life. 

Alex Harper (who, with Brad Loaring and Craig Every, had fine games) combined with Dan Collins for the latter to round the ‘keeper and pull one back and Chris Atyeo headed narrowly over, while Josh Lukins had a goal ruled out for offside.

A sloppy fourth goal in the 82nd minute finally settled affairs in a match where University passed the ball with purpose - with Chard it was hope.

Chard: Cunnold, Loaring, Mason, Every, Atyeo, Board, Contreras, Harper, Marsden, Collins, Gorski. Subs (used): Billington, Lukins & Gladman.