Toolstation Western League First Division
Chard Town 4, Oldland Abbotonians 0

THE Robins consolidated their fine start to the season with an ultimately comfortable victory against their visitors from the Bristol area, writes Rod Harrington.

This win is all the sweeter as it leaves the club top of the First Division, albeit with a clutch of clubs snapping at their heels.

It was an utterly commanding first half performance from Jamie Manley’s team.

Initial Chard pressure led to an Oldland defender tripping James Boyland in the box after only six minutes and Ollie Pearson’s well-struck penalty kick gave the hosts the advantage.

The Robins’ movement and passing had their opponents in some disarray and, with the additional benefit of Andrew Holmes’ long throws from the touchline, they proved a constant threat.

It was no surprise when, after 32 minutes, they went further ahead.
Max Westlake did well to pull the ball back across the face of goal and Liam Cleal did the rest by sliding the ball into the corner of the net.

The third goal came six minutes later as Matt Howell worked a good ball into the path of Max Westlake, who ran through the defence to beat the Oldland keeper.

Westlake and Cleal then had further chances to add to their tally before the break.

The second half was a different matter with the visitors using the slope to their advantage.

Scott Wells-Burr was immediately called on to make an excellent save and this was a forerunner of things to come.

Jamie Symonds and Luke Troke had chances to reduce the arrears and Fabian Pereira-Fasanella hit the post.

Josh Williams worked hard for Oldland up front but the best chance fell to Jordan Chubb, who blasted over from barely two yards.

Substitute Lewis Bezer then missed the upright by a whisker with his shot.

There was, however, always the possibility that the home side would add to their tally and indeed they did when the fourth goal came on 80 minutes.

Nathan Warren did well to control a pass at his feet then got into a good position while challenged to loft the ball into the top corner of the net over Chris Manns, the visitors’ keeper.

Chard - Scott Wells-Burr, Ben Haines, Ollie Pearson, Andrew Holmes, Kieran Bailey, Matt Howell (Jacob Manley 84), Max Westlake (Elliot Dyer 84 mins), Nathan Warren, Ryan Parris (Sam Smith 84), James Boyland, Liam Cleal.  Subs (not used): Tom Salter and Steve Friend.

Somerset County League Premier
Stockwood Wanderers 1, Ilminster Town 0

FOR the second week running, Ilminster travelled to Stockwood, writes Andy Fish.

Three weeks ago, the Blues recorded a fine 2-0 home win against the South Bristol side in the Somerset Senior Cup thanks to a Taylor Jefferson brace.

But, with the top scorer out with a broken wrist, that cutting edge that was missing as, despite being the better side playing some good football, the Blues failed to score for the first time this season.

Ilminster started on the front foot dominating the first half and it was very comfortable for the Ilminster back line, despite losing left-back George Miles to a bad tackle early on.

The home side did create one chance and would have taken the lead but for Chris May’s brilliant save.

Ilminster threatened with Carl Lazenby leading the line well and linking play but could not take advantage.

The second half began with Stockwood Wanderers coming more into the game.

For the first time, the Blues defence switched off and the hosts took the lead when they reacted first to the loose ball.

Slowly, Ilminster got back on top and totally dominated but failed to create any clear-cut chances as the hosts hung on.

Ilminster - Chris May, Luke Paul, George Miles, Ashley Lock, Doug Whitfield, Brad Pitman, Brad Miles, Alex Paul, Kieran Manley, Adam Male, Carl Lazenby. Subs (used): Ben Pitman, Charlie Rutter.