Toolstation Western League First Division
Corsham Town 0, Chard Town 3

CHARD Town continued their recent good form on Saturday with a victory away at Corsham Town to rise to eighth in the table.

The Robins had the best of starts when, straight from the kick off, Max Westlake found Stephen Friend, whose cross beat the home defence with Kieran Bailey firing home from close range.

Corsham had a chance to get back on level terms on eight minutes but a weak shot was easily covered by ‘keeper Jon Hill.

They followed this with two corners and a free kick but the Chard defence cleared the home side’s efforts with ease to set up some further attacks to test their opponents.

A James Boyland cross was saved by ‘keeper Chris Snoddy, who then denied Steve Friend from a one-on-one.

With several free kicks awarded for Chard an appeal for a penalty was turned down following a foul on Liam Cleal. 

However, a second goal came when a complete mix-up in the home defence saw Cleal in position to score from an open goal on 42 minutes.

Alex Stafie replaced the injured Steve Friend at the start of the second half and Chard took advantage of a brisk wind to push forward, with Stafie’s first touch being a direct shot which was saved by Snoddy. 

The third goal came on 55 minutes when the ball was played back by Kieran Bailey to Andy Holmes, who scored with a great half volley into the roof of the net. 

A further effort by Stafie was just over the bar but, to their credit, Corsham did not give up the cause and twice hit the crossbar, however the Chard defence saw out the game with a clean sheet to complete the double over the Wiltshire side.

Robins boss Paul Down said: “It was another good win on the road, with a fine disciplined performance. 

“Andy Holmes got man of the match, he had an excellent match as well as scoring from a great half volley - physio Lisa Hamlin must take great credit for getting him fit to play.”

Chard Town: Jon Hill, Pat Golden (Ryan Mason), Oliver Pearson, Andrew Holmes, Kieran Bailey, Jack Dicker (Ryan Parris), Max Westlake, Taoufik Ben-Salem, James Boyland, Stephen Friend (Alex Stafie) Liam Cleal. 

CHARD Town Reserves’ scheduled match at home to Heavitree United in Division One of the Devon & Exeter League was called off due to a waterlogged pitch at Zembard Lane.

Somerset County League Premier Division
Nailsea United 2, Ilminster Town 2

ILMINSTER Town were relieved that their Somerset County Premier Division fixture away at fellow mid table Nailsea United passed an early morning pitch inspection, writes Andy Fish.

The Blues were well rested having not played a league match since November 25, but Jonny May, Brad Miles, Dough Whitfield and Taylor Jefferson were all unavailable.

The pitch was playable but very heavy, making a short passing game almost impossible.

Nailsea started well and took the lead on five minutes when Adam Marsden played an accurate ball into the middle where Sam Olsen made no mistake to slot the ball home. 

Charlie Rutter had a good chance to bring the scores level but could not sort his feet out when through on goal, and Nailsea increased their lead when Luke Penberthy fired a shot past Chris May.

A change of formation followed for the Blues and, after sustained pressure, they were rewarded when Tom Sullivan was brought down for a penalty which Jack Male dispatched into the bottom corner.

The second half was evenly contested, with Nailsea perhaps shading the first 20 minutes, but with the pitch cutting up and the heavy surface stopping any passes in midfield Ilminster began to get on top.

Adam Male was close with a header, but it took until the 87th minute mark for the equaliser to arrive.

Karl Davis put a high cross into the box, Rutter challenged the keeper who failed to clear and Jack Male was on hand to half volley the ball into the net from 10 yards to spark wild celebrations from the Ilminster players as the won his side a valuable away point.

Jack Male worked really hard in the heavy conditions, the young midfielders knows that he needs to add goals to his game to be a real top player and he certainly started 2018 well by scoring his first and second goals of the season to deservedly take the man of the match award.

Team: Chris May, Luke Paul, Karl Davis, Adam Male, Jake Woodard, Ben Pitman, Brad Pitman, Jack Male, Tom Sullivan, Chris Nezianya, Charlie Rutter (c); Subs used: Kieran Manley, Rich Crabb and Mitch Hooper

Next week the Blues are home at the Archie Gooch Pavillion with a 2.00pm kick off against runaway leaders Chilcompton, which should be a good test for the young team.

Somerset County League Division 1 West
Combe St Nicholas 3, Berrow & Highbridge 0

COMBE St Nicholas carried their positivity from last week’s win over Weston St John’s into a 3-0 home victory against struggling Berrow & Highbridge. 

The hosts took the lead through debutant Adam Smith after fine work from Warren Gabbidon. 

And it was 2-0 at half time, as Kamil Wilk finished off a good move involving Smith and Gabbidon.

Smith sealed the victory after the break, heading in after Wilk’s corner.
Managers Neil Holt and James Govier praised the effort shown by all their players.

The result sees Combe sit in 15th, four points ahead of second-bottom Clevedon United Reserves and now five points behind B&H