GoCrea8 Southern 2
PGSOB A 4, Chard 1

CHARD men’s 1sts headed down to Plymouth for their final game needing a win to be crowned champions, while their opponents needed a win to avoid relegation.

The team they faced were unrecognisable from the one they beat 7-0 at home earlier in the season.

Chard battled and tried to get a grip of the game, but it was PGSOB who opened the scoring and they soon added another.

Chard heads did not drop and they had a few chances – Adam Veitch rounded the keeper but was pushed out to too tight an angle, and Matt Sheahan also hit the crossbar.

Liam Murphy then got one back before half time, and it was game on.

PGSOB attacked straight from the restart and, if it weren’t for some great keeping from Oscar Smith, the score could have been very different.

Chard’s frustration began to show and a last-ditch tackle which bundled over his man saw Simon Green sent to the sideline.

PGSOB then scored twice more, putting the game beyond Chard.

The result saw Chard’s season end on a rather bitter note, having to put the question of the eligibility of a number of the PGSOB players forward to the league secretary.

However, this should not overshadow the achievements of a young, homegrown team who have now not lost a game at home for two seasons and have secured promotion for the second year running.

A great effort by all involved at the club and in the team.


Chard & Ilminster News:

CLASH: Chard A’s Jason Goddard plays the ball under pressure against Taunton Vale D. Pic: Steve Richardson

GoCrea8 South East 2
Chard A 2, Taunton Vale D 0

CHARD’S 2nd XI rounded off their league season with a deserved three points against a Taunton Vale squad which bore only a passing resemblance to the team Chard beat convincingly at Gipsy Lane in December. 

This was a keenly contested fixture but one in which Chard’s defensive qualities provided excellent protection for Richard Green in goal. 

Although Chard were guaranteed third spot in the division, captain James Spurdle urged the team to finish the season in style. 

It was Spurdle himself who gave Chard a first-half lead, running on to a long range pass into the D from Harvey Dening to sweep home. 

Spurdle, Dening and Justin Green went close to extending the lead before half time; a couple of penalty corners were as close as Vale came to an equaliser, Green saving well. 

After the restart Dening’s efforts were rewarded when Gary Wheaton sent in a defence-splitting pass and Dening scored with an angled shot. 

Chard kept up their fluent play, easing to a fine victory.

Chard squad: R Green, N Liggins, A Critchley, P Tratt, S Mahoney, J Goddard, J Spurdle (captain), C Knight, M Kane, J Green, H Dening, T Goss, G Wheaton, M Lane.


GoCrea8 South East 2
Chard B 0, Exteter University F 2

PLAYING their last game of the season against the league champions, the men’s 3rds worked hard to compete.

The University team were fitter and stronger than Chard, but the hosts did their best to limit their chances, with Steve Dare and Kevin Mooney making countless interceptions. 

Chard did concede two goals before half time, but there was no way past them after the break, with James Float superb in defence and goalkeeper Bradley Williams pulling off some amazing saves. 

Chard squad: Williams, Dare, Mooney, Cheffey, Eames, Willis, D Lewis, Boobyer, Crump, McElroy, Swain, R Lewis, Bromfield, T Float, J Float.