GoCrea8 Southern 2
Chard Men’s 1sts 5, Bude 1sts 3

AFTER a 3-3 draw at West Dorset the week before, league leaders Chard faced fourth-placed Bude, one of only two teams to have beaten them this season.

Chard nearly had a dream start – straight from the pushback, some lovely link-up play only just missed out on being converted.

In a cruel twist, Bude took the ball straight from this and themselves got the ideal start, going 1-0 up.

Chard hit back, equalising before the half was out, as Michael Wakely slotted in from a rebounded shot.

The second half brought out a lot more action, Adam Veitch blasting home from the top of the D to put Chard ahead.

Bude scored straight from the restart for 2-2, but Veitch then bagged his second of when he sold the keeper a dummy to take the ball round him and finish.

But again Bude scored from the restart.

Chard showed determination however, Matt Sheahan embarking on a good run to set up a George Retter reverse goal.

Then it was Simon Green who ran the length of the pitch to get the assist for a rare Harvey Lupton goal.

This was an vital win for Chard, putting them one step closer to the title and promotion, ahead of a home game with Plymouth Uni A this Saturday.


GoCrea8 South East 2
Chard B 1, Chard A 3

THE two Chard teams played each other in their latest league fixture, with the A team hoping to gain revenge for defeat earlier in the season – and extend the gap between themselves in third and the Bs in fourth.

The B team came out of the traps quickest, and they were unlucky not to take the lead as Richard Green saved from Jacob Boobyer, the rebound pushed wide by captain Cheffey.

The early B team dominance did not last too long, as Harvey Denning started to create chances, and midway through the half the game’s dominant player, Kyle Wheaton, rounded the defence and fired home.

The B team continued to press forward, but the A back line of Arthur Critchely and Paul Tratt held firm, and the lead was doubled before half time when a cross from the right was controlled by Wheaton, who touched the ball past keeper Grahame Johnson.

The opening exchanges in the second half were even, with the B side getting a few penalty corners that were well dealt with.

The A team attacked down the flanks and, though their opponents held out well, they finally found a way round the back, James Spurdle firing the ball into the roof of the net.

Three players were sent to the sin bin as the game got heated, but the B team claimed a consolation goal, as a penalty corner was well converted by Brendan Viggers in his last game.