A COURT was told that a woman who was subjected to repeated violent offences at the hands of her partner genuinely feared that he would kill her one day.

The terrified victim said she was also frightened for the safety of her parents after Ilton man Mubarek Dil had also made threats towards them.

The magistrates, sitting at Yeovil, heard how the defendant had blamed his mother-in-law for the breakdown of his marriage.

And when his wife confessed she had been seeing another man he drove the car, with her in it, straight into oncoming traffic threatening to kill them both if she didn’t tell him who it was.

In another incident the defendant grabbed hold of his wife during an argument and told her if she didn’t shut her mouth then he would slit her throat, leaving her so scared that she wet herself.

Dil, 37, of Copse Lane, pleaded not guilty that between May 17 and June 1 at Yeovil he caused his wife to fear that violence would be used against him by his course of conduct in that he threatened violence against her both verbally and physically.

He also denied an offence of assaulting the victim by beating her on May 19 but was convicted of both matters following a trial before Somerset Magistrates.

Chair of the bench, Rosie Wilson, said that the two offences had involved violence against a victim in her own home who was vulnerable, and happened on more than one occasion.

“The victim showed obvious distress which you appeared to ignore and other family members were also put in fear.”

“For all these reasons we think these offences are so serious that we are sending you to prison for a total of eight weeks, but will suspend it on condition you don’t commit any other offences during the next two years.

During that time the magistrates also ordered Dil to undertake 40 hours unpaid work and pay £620 costs and a £115 victim surcharge.

They also made a two year restraining order during which time he must not contact his wife directly or indirectly except through a third party for child contact, and must not go to the road in Yeovil where she lives.

The court was given details of the offences including that on May 17 the couple were at home with the victim’s mother-in-law when Dil began blaming her for the deterioration in their relationship and poked her in the chest.

When she responded to him in a similar fashion he pushed her in the chest but his wife then got between them and he said to her “I’ll get a knife and I’ll kill you first. Then I’ll kill your mother and then I’ll kill your father”.

The victim was later in the car with the defendant when she told him she wanted a divorce and that she had been seeing another man.

Dil then drove in the middle of the road towards oncoming traffic, with cars flashing their lights at him, and he told his wife: “I will kill myself and I will kill you if you don’t tell me who he is.”

The defendant then calmed down, but when he was later questioned about the incident he said he had been attempting to clear some cigarette ash from his lap and he went across the central reservation accidentally. He denied any abusive or threatening language.

On May 19 the couple were arguing when Dil grabbed his wife’s arm and held her from behind, putting his hand across her mouth telling her to shut up.

He then said: “You’re not going anywhere, if you don’t shut your mouth I will get a knife and slit your throat” leaving the victim so scared that she wet herself.

A while later she said she was going to her mother’s house when the defendant threatened to kill her mother and father again.

Prosecutor Christine Hart said that the victim had made a statement which she wanted read out in court where she said that she had fought against taking medication after becoming depressed, but now realised she needed some help.

In the statement she said that since Dil’s arrest her mental health had suffered and she was now very nervous thinking that every white car she sees is belonged to him.

“I cannot sleep and cannot stop crying, and when I do sleep I suffer nightmares that he is killing me using a knife on my throat,” she said.

“As a result, during the day I am tired and snappy with people around me and I have now booked an appointment to see my GP.

“If he is allowed to come back here then my safety will be at risk and I genuinely believe that he will try to kill me one day.

“I also believe my parents are at risk who live close to me and have been my big support against him.”

Dil still protested his innocence, despite being found guilty following a trial, and said he had been with his wife for 10 years and had not touched her once.

“There has been no violence between us, but in May and June we had an argument for about two weeks, but no one else is talking about what happened in the other 10 years,” he said.

“It was just two weeks and I am seen as a monster now.”

He added that his wife was trying to divorce him and said it was financially motivated.