An elderly man was rescued from a house fire yesterday evening.

The fire service received a call just after 5.20pm to a property in Eastfield Close, Martock.

Fire engines from Martock, Yeovil and Somerton as well as an incident support unit from Martock, were all sent to the incident.

A spokesperson for the Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue service, said: "On arrival crews confirmed a fire in the kitchen of a mid terraced bungalow.

"Fire crews rescued one elderly gentleman and extinguished the fire using two breathing apparatus and one hose reel jet.

"There was slight smoke damage to the property."

The man was not injured in the incident and the cause of the fire was believed to be accidental.