FIREFIGHTERS tackled a campervan fire after safely removing gas cylinders from the burning vehicle in Wayford.

Fire crews from Chard and Crewkerne were called to the scene at around 7.25pm on Tuesday, August 30.

One fire engine was initially sent to the scene, with a second quickly requested for assistance. 

Firefighters extinguished the accidental fire using one hose reel jet and breathing apparatus.

A Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service spokesperson said: “One fire appliance attended a vehicle on fire and immediately on arrival requested a second pump for water.

“Crews put the fire out with two breathing apparatus and one hose reel jet.

“The fire was involving a campervan, and cylinders were removed from the vehicle safely. The cause of the fire was accidental.”

The fire service has issued advice about camping and caravanning safely. 

Its tips include pitching up at least six metres away from other campers and parked vehicles, reading campsites' safety arrangements, and keeping stoves or barbecues well away from tents and caravans.

If a vehicle catches fire while being driven, motorists should stay calm, put their hazard lights on, pull over safely and quickly, release the bonnet using the control inside the car, and move to a safe area before calling 999. 

For more information, visit and