A CREWKERNE man who was caught throwing pool balls, skittles and beer glasses in a pub brawl has been spared a jail sentence.

The 21-year-old avoided going to jail despite also being sentenced for possession a weapon in a public place, following a heated confrontation outside his home one year on from the first incident.

On Thursday Taunton Crown Court heard that Eric Thompson, of Park View, sparked a ruckus in The White Hart Inn on the night on January 17, 2015 when he slapped someone.

Speaking for the prosecution, Tara Wolfe said that during the ensuing 10 minute fight Thompson was witnessed throwing punches, biting someone, and throwing pool balls, skittles and beer glasses.

Thompson, who was 19 at the time of the first incident, was under a youth rehabilitation order at the time.

Ms Wolfe explained that Thompson was also being sentenced for a second, entirely separate incident which took place on August 16, 2016.

The court heard that the altercation started over the phone, with the complainant coming to Thompson's house around 6pm and waited outside.

Thompson left the home and after verbal sparring the two exchanged blows with members of the public witnessing - including a mother putting her four-year-old and seven-year-old child into the car.

Thompson's partner managed to get him back into the house - not before he had thrown a wheelie bin - but Thompson wasn't finished, the court head.

"The defendant proceeded to escape from a window wielding a large knife - described as being the size of a ruler - and made threats toward the complainant before the partner managed to get him back into the home again," Ms Wolfe said.

But clearly still enraged, Thompson once again escaped out the window, this time with a hammer in hand before the police arrived and diffused the situation.

Defending Thompson, Lawrence Wilcox said: "The complainant goaded Mr Thompson during the second altercation.

"The defendant is remorseful and filled with regret for his actions. He has lost his employment because of this case, and is in relationship where he is stepfather to a three-year-old boy."

Sentencing Judge David Evans said Thompson had repeatedly shown he was unable to control his temper.

"As someone who is a stepfather to a young child, you must have known your behaviour was unacceptable.

Rather than phone the police, you got into a fight with another young idiot," Judge Evans said.

"You left your home with a weapon more than once when there was no need. You took a large sharp knife – your intention is not important. I have seen far too many cases where someone has died in an incident that starts like this one.

"One can only hope you are going to do what most other human beings do at a much earlier age, which is to mature and learn to keep your temper in check."

Judge Evans sentenced Thompson to 14 months in prison, suspended for two years, and 200 hours unpaid work.