EMERGENCY services were called to Chard town centre this afternoon (Thursday, June 9) after reports of a faulty air conditioning unit.

The incident happened on Fore Street, fire service crews and the ambulance were called at around 3.30pm and the road was closed.

One person was taken to hospital “after suffering the effect of gas,” a spokesperson for Devon and Somerset Fire Service said, while other two were treated on the scene.

The spokesperson also said: "Service called at about 3.40pm to a suspected faulty air conditioning unit emitting a gas at William Hill in Fore Street, Chard.

"Three casualties, one sent to hospital after suffering the effects of the gas, two others treated on scene.

"All air conditioning units have been isolated, gas board has attended scene to check levels, and the property has been ventilated. Stop was issued at 18.55."