A CHIMNEY caught fire in Axminster yesterday evening (January 9).

One fire engine from Axminster and one from Chard attended the incident in Furley.

The fire broke out around 4.30pm.

"Fire control received a call regarding a chimney fire in domestic property in Furley, Axminster," said a spokesperson for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service.

"On arrival crews confirmed the chimney was well alight as a result of a Rayburn in use.

"Crews tackled the fire from the roof using safe working at height equipment, a jet and a fog spike as well as removing internal panels to expose the chimney breast to extinguish the fire."