FIREFIGHTERS rescue a person trapped upstairs in a house fire late last night (Tuesday, August 17).

Crews were called to the blaze in Chard shortly after 11pm

A person was still in the building when firefighters arrived on the scene.

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: "Control immediately mobilised three crews and an officer to deal with the incident.

"On arrival this incident commander confirmed that one person was still within the property and crews were at work with four breathing apparatus to deal with the fire and rescue the person.

"Shortly after crews managed to rescue the occupier and requested an ambulance for smoke inhalation.

"Two further casualties were conveyed to hospital suffering light smoke inhalation.

"The incident was believed to be caused accidentally."