FIRE crews were called to a flat fire in Chard yesterday evening.

The alarm was raised at around 9.30pm with crews from Chard Fire Station and Ilminster Fire Station attending.

A spokesperson for the Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said: "Crews attended the property and confirmed the fire had been burning for some time, with a small fire found in the kitchen.

"Crews used two breathing apparatus sets, one hose reel jet, thermal imaging camera, carbon monoxide monitor and a positive pressure ventilation fan."

There was fire damage sustained to the cooker and kitchen, as well as smoke damage to the rest of the flat.

The cause of the fire was said to have been caused by "accidental ignition".