A FIRE has torn through two buildings near Chard including a family home and a community facility.

The buildings in the village of Bishopswood went up in flames yesterday afternoon (February 27).

Four pumps from Chard, Ilminster and Taunton were sent to the scene in Bishopswood in Chard at 2.15pm, where a bungalow was already well alight with gas, mains electric and an oil storage tanker also involved.

Two further pumps were called as the fire had begun to spread to an adjoining property.

Western Power were also called in to isolate the mains electricity supply.

Crews got to work with breathing apparatus, main jets, compressed air foam, thermal imaging cameras and small tools to begin to tackle the fire.

The fire broke out in a bungalow and spread to adjoining house and by the time the blaze was extinguished both properties had suffered severe fire damage.

A spokesman for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue said: "Our crews extinguished the fire using three compressed air foam jets, three 45mm jets, four breathing apparatus, thermal image camera, small tools and a triple ext ladder. 

"The cause of the fire was accidental."