FIREFIGHTERS were called to a supermarket in Chard in the early hours of the morning. 

Crews were called to Tesco supermarket on Tapstone Road at 12.30am this morning (February 4). 

The incident involved a fire in the kitchen. 

A Devon and Somerset Fire and rescue spokesman said: "We received a call to a report of a small kitchen fire at the above location.

"Upon arrival the crew from Chard requested the attendance of a second appliance in order to increase the number of available breathing apparatus.

"The two crews were able to confirm that the fire was out prior to their arrival but the premises remained smoke logged.

"Crews used breathing apparatus, hose reels and positive pressure ventilation fans to clear the smoke."