A MAN accused of committing a string of burglaries across three counties who was reported to police by his Crewkerne employer following a CCTV media appeal has been remanded in custody.

Police circulated images of Sonnie Marsh which were recognised by his boss, and after being arrested he was brought before District Judge David Taylor at Yeovil in custody.

Marsh, 20, of Basin Street, Fratton, Portsmouth, was charged that between December 7 and December 9 last year at Stoford he entered as a trespasser a dwelling in Newton Road and stole jewellery and bank cards.

He was also alleged to have entered the George Reynolds Centre, South Street, Crewkerne on December 8 with intent to steal and was also allegedly in possession of a quantity of cannabis (class B) at Crewkerne on January 2.

The defendant was also charged with a burglary at O’Neils Store in Gunwharf Quay, Portsmouth, on September 3 where a purse and contents were stolen.

He was also charged with a similar offence at the Red Lion public house in West Street, Portchester, where a purse and contents, jewellery and an Ipod were stolen. He was also said to have committed fraud by using a stolen bank card to buy goods for himself on October 25.

Marsh was further charged with a burglary at The Capitol Cinema in Horsham where a till and its contents were stolen.

He was also alleged to have burgled the Dolphin public house in Littlehampton and stole a bag containing a large amount of cash and other items.

Marsh pleaded guilty to the drugs offence but did not enter any pleas to the other seven allegations.

Prosecutor Emma Lenanton said that for each of the burglaries the defendant was allegedly identified through CCTV footage or fingerprints and all involved the theft of either cash, jewellery, bank cards and personal papers.

Some were also said to have involved confrontations and the fraudulent use of bank cards.

District Judge Taylor said the case was so serious that Marsh must be sent to Taunton Crown Court to be dealt with.

He adjourned the matters until February 5 when the defendant must appear at Taunton for a pre trial hearing. Until then he was remanded in custody.