CREWS were called to an oven fire in Chard this afternoon (June 3).

Fire engines from Chard, Ilminster and Charmouth attended the incident in South Chard at around 2.15pm.

They were called to reports of a fire in the kitchen of a property, and on arrival discovered the fire was in the oven and had been put out when they arrived.

"Crews confirmed the fire had cause 10 per cent fire damage to the oven and approximately 10 per cent smoke logging to the ground floor of the property," said a spokesperson for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue.

"This incident was accidental."