IT was a lucky escape for one Somerset resident this morning, after their garden shed caught fire in the middle of the night.

The fire spread to a fence panel and then the conservatory of a detached bungalow on Brickyard Lane, Crewkerne.

Two fire engines attended the incident at 12.40am this morning (March 3).

Firefighters tackled the garden fire and other members of the service went inside and found the resident before leading them outside to safety.

"Fire control received calls from neighbours reporting a large fire in the rear garden," said a spokesperson for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue.

"A crew from Crewkerne were initially mobilised but within minutes of their arrival the attendance was increased to a further fire engine, which came from Yeovil.

"Crews worked well to bring the fire, which started accidentally, under control, using one hose reel jet, small tools and a thermal imaging camera.

"The shed was destroyed, along with the fence panel, with the conservatory sustaining heat damage only.

"Once the scene was made safe and the occupant checked over, they were left in the care of family."