A FRIDGE freezer was destroyed and a building was damaged following a fire at a retail property in Yeovil. Firefighters from Yeovil were called to reports of an alarm sounding at the property in Ivel Square at 11.54pm on Saturday (November 21).

On arrival crews confirmed that the property was locked and there was smoke issuing from the property and requested further assistance.

Two further fire engines from Yeovil and one from Sherborne were sent to the scene.

A spokesperson for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service, said: "A forced entry was made to gain access and crews noted there was heavy smoke logging in the property and a further two fire engines were requested for breathing apparatus, these came from Crewkerne and second from Sherborne, as well as an Incident Command Unit from Street.

"The fire was located within a fridge freezer that was totally destroyed. There was a further 5 per cent smoke damage to the building and light smoke damage to the entire stock.

"The fire was extinguished using three CO2 extinguishers, one Dry Powder extinguisher, six Breathing apparatus and a Positive Pressure Fan to clear the smoke. The cause of the fire was accidental. "