A SHED has gone up in flames in South Somerset after nearby bonfire spread to the structure.

Throughout lockdown, the fire service has been warning people to avoid bonfires due to the risk of avoidable incidents.

Two fire engines - one from Chard and one from Martock - were called to The Avenue in Misterton, near Crewkerne.

They were called to the scene at shortly before 12.45pm yesterday (May 23).

The fire was in the shed in the back garden.

A spokesman for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said: "Crews arrived on scene and got to work putting the fire out.

"The shed was used as a workshop, and suffered severe fire damage.

"Crews put the fire out, and confirmed the cause as accidental, spread from a nearby bonfire."

As more people took to the gardens to work during lockdown, the fire service warned people to avoid lighting bonfires.

The spokesman added: "Whilst it's tempting to burn some garden rubbish, please, consider your neighbours and the emergency services who are already stretched and keep our communities safe.

"Consider composting rather than burning your garden waste, follow the latest government guidance on social distancing, and test your home smoke alarms to ensure they are all working."

Laura Pratt is the community safety prevention manager at Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service.

She said: “We are urging everyone to be more aware of the demands on fire services and the additional fire risks that so much time at home can bring, and to take steps to protect yourself and your family.”