EMERGENCY services rushed a a toilet block near a Chard supermarket after reports of smoke coming from inside.

Two fire engines were sent to the facilities in Bath Street, near the town's Sainsbury's supermarket.

They attended the scene at shortly before 1.30pm yesterday (February 17).

A Devon and Somerset Fire Service spokesman said: "Two fire engines from Chard were sent to reports of smoke coming from a toilet block in Chard.

"On arrival the fire crews discovered fire involving some rubbish inside the toilet block.

"Crews used one hose reel jet, positive pressure ventilation, thermal imaging camera and the gas monitor were used to put out the fire and make sure the toilets were safe.

"The fire damage was contained to the rubbish only."