A MAN who drove at speed on a Chard roundabout while roadworks were in operation ended up colliding with another car travelling in the opposite direction.

Jacek Mucha was not insured and already had seven points on his licence when he caused the crash, and when the other driver told him to pull over he sped off from the scene.

The victim managed to follow the defendant’s car until it pulled up at Old Station Court and he got out and fled the area, Somerset Magistrates were told.

Mucha, 26, of Henson Park, Chard, pleaded guilty to driving a VW Passat on Victoria Avenue in Chard without due care and attention on July 21.

He also admitted failing to stop after an accident and using a vehicle without insurance when he was in the dock at Yeovil.

Prosecutor Suzie Butler said that the witness and his passenger were waiting at a set of temporary traffic lights on Victoria Avenue by the roundabout on the A30.

“Mucha was driving from Crewkerne to Chard and the roundabout was coned off for the vehicles to go the wrong way around the roundabout,” she said.

“The defendant was driving at speed and drove round the roundabout the wrong way and then collided with the nearside kerb before colliding with the other car.

“The complainant shouted at Mucha to pull over and he said he would but instead drove off.

“The complainant followed him and the defendant pulled up by Old Station Court and then ran off.”

The vehicle was found to be registered to Mucha’s home address and when he was interviewed he admitted driving on the roundabout too fast and causing the collision.

He admitted having no insurance and running off without exchanging details and said he shouldn’t have done it but he had just panicked.

The witness said he was waiting at the traffic lights when the defendant’s car came at speed towards them and was going really fast.

He said the driver had to brake hard and then the rear of the vehicle swung out and it bounced off the kerb and careered about two car lengths before crashing into his car.

Sam Morton, defending, said Mucha was sorry for the offences and later attended the police station voluntarily to be interviewed.

“He bought the Passat but then realised he could not afford to run it and was intending to give it to his father,” he said.

“He was on his way to his father’s address when he had to go the wrong way around the roundabout and accepted he was going too fast. However he accepts his driving fell below the required standard.”

The magistrates banned Mucha from driving for 12 months and fined him £295 with £85 costs and a £32 victim surcharge.