MR TEE may not be legally able to trade from any Somerset car park if he attempts to sell his ice cream to the paying public in the future.

The self-proclaimed “king of desserts” has amassed more than 220,000 Facebook followers from selling his own particular brand of ice cream, turning up in various places all over the country.

Sedgemoor District Council is currently investigating whether the businessman was in breach of its rules over trading from car parks during recent visits to Bridgwater and Highbridge.

Now the three other district councils in Somerset – which have the responsibility for licensing businesses and premises – have set out the rules Mr Tee will have to abide by as and when he returns to the West Country.

In the Mendip district (which includes Frome, Glastonbury, Shepton Mallet, Street and Wells), Mr Tee will be required to get a street trading licence to trade – but he would not be allowed to operate from a council-run car park.

A council spokesman said: “Our street trading policy states that street trading consents or licences are required to trade, this includes private land, including (but not limited to) land owned, leased or maintained by the council, private roads, lay-bys, car parks and industrial estates.

“Street trading is defined as; the selling or offering for sale of any article in the street. Anyone wishing to trade in our area must have our consent to trade, unless they are covered by a statutory or local exemption. Anyone who is unsure of their responsibilities should contact the community health and licensing team at Mendip for further advice.

“We do not issue consents to trade from our pay and display car parks, with the exception of our markets which are covered by the market rights.

“There is no current enforcement action in Mendip against the business in question.”

Somerset West and Taunton Council is responsible for issuing licences across its new district – which includes not only Taunton but Minehead, Wellington, Watchet and Wiveliscombe.

It too said it had a policy of stopping trading in car parks.

The council said: “A street trading consent is required where a person intends to sell items, including food, on any land the public have free access to.

“Our policy is not to permit trading in car parks. There are, however, public areas in the district where the council is actively looking to encourage trading and other activities.

“The council has not received an application from Mr Tee for a street trading consent.”

South Somerset District Council (which is responsible for licensing in Yeovil, Chard, Crewkerne, Ilminster and Wincanton, among other towns) would also require a street trading licence for Mr Tee to operate – but the car park question is more of a grey area.

A spokesman said: “Street trading consent would be required for this type of operation. This would involve the applicant providing information about the date(s), time(s) and locations of trading, what they intend to sell etc.

“They would also need to provide evidence that they have permission from the landowner to trade there. There is also a fee for street trading – there is a daily rate of £60, 3 months £440, 6 months £775, or annual £1340.

“We cannot say whether Mr Tee would be allowed to trade of not from council owned car parks; it depends on what information on the street trading consent form(s).

“We are not aware of any applications to trade in our area.”

None of the three councils have any ongoing investigations into Mr Tee operating in their area.

If you have concerns about businesses operating without the appropriate licences or permissions in your area, you are encouraged to raise the issues in the following ways:

Mendip: call 0300 303 8588 or visit

Sedgemoor: call 0800 298 2009, email or visit

Somerset West and Taunton: call 0300 304 8000 or visit

South Somerset: call 01935 462462 or visit