THREE people have been taken to hospital after firefighters battled through the night to tackle a fire at a property in Chard.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service were called at 12.42am on Sunday (April 28) to Old Station Court in Chard following reports of a fire.

Two fire engines from Chard and one fire engine from Ilminster were sent to reports of smoke issuing from the property, which is near to B&Q.

On arrival, the fire crews confirmed that there was a blaze in the kitchen of the property and luckily everyone who was in the house had left the building safely.

At shortly before 1am, the firefighters used a hose reel jet and two breathing apparatus sets to try and extinguish the flames.

The fire crews confirmed that three people were being treated at the scene by paramedics for smoke inhalation and oxygen therapy was being administered.

At 10 minutes later, the incident commander asked for the incident support unit from Yeovil to come to the scene and bring breathing apparatus cylinders.

At around 1.20am, the emergency services confirmed that the fire had been extinguished, and all the utilities in the building had been isolated.

Western Power Distribution had also been called to the scene to isolate the electricity supply for the property, Crews called Western Power so they could isolate the electricity supply to the property.

At this time, firefighters also used four breathing apparatus sets, one thermal imaging camera, two gas monitors, a hose reel jet and a safety jet to do a sweep of the property.

Before 2am, a spokesman for the fire service said: “The smoke has now been vented naturally and breathing apparatus has now been discontinued.

“Crews still carrying out casualty care and awaiting the arrival of the electricity board for isolation.”

The three casualties were later taken to hospital by ambulance as a result of their smoke inhalation.

The property’s electrics have also been isolated by Western Power.

Additionally, fire crews have fitted two smoke detectors inside the property for the safety of the occupant.

A spokesman for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service, said: “The property consisted of an end terraced measuring 8m by 25m, two storey brick construction.

“Fire damage sustained to the kitchen and hallway, with the rest of the property suffering from smoke damage. Three casualties taken to hospital by the ambulance service due to smoke inhalation.”

The fire service also said the incident was accidental, and caused by a hob being left on.

Station Manager, Mike Graham said: “Being distracted while cooking is one of the main causes of fire call-outs with more than 60 per cent of accidental dwelling fires in Devon and Somerset starting in the kitchen.

“This means that you are six times more likely to have an incident in your kitchen than in any other room in the house.

“I would urge people to check that their smoke alarms are working and to remind them that whatever happens elsewhere in your home, always make sure you have one eye on the hob or oven.”